Agent’s Failure to Disclose Dog Comes Back to Bite Homeowner

I agree with the court's decision on an insured's obligation to be vigilant about his insurance.

As to the agent's culpability, that co go either way.

"insurance agent filled out the application and did not supply him with the entire document."

It's not my intention to start a discussion as to whether the agent was right or wrong in this case. Only to point out that case law differs from state to state with regard to the responsibility of agent vs the responsibility of the insured. Avoid potential E&O claims by being cautious about applications. After all, being right doesn't prevent the lawsuit.

The life insurance industry has the right idea. Put the signed application in the policy and make it part of the contract. (Is it still doing that?) Puts the onus on the insured for the accuracy of the application.

Whether the company would have issued the policy or not can be the key issue. I've seen a case or two, where opposing counsel subpoenaed that information.

I agree with the court's decision on an insured's obligation to be vigilant about his insurance.

As to the agent's culpability, that co go either way.

"insurance agent filled out the application and did not supply him with the entire document."

It's not my intention to start a discussion as to whether the agent was right or wrong in this case. Only to point out that case law differs from state to state with regard to the responsibility of agent vs the responsibility of the insured. Avoid potential E&O claims by being cautious about applications. After all, being right doesn't prevent the lawsuit.

The life insurance industry has the right idea. Put the signed application in the policy and make it part of the contract. (Is it still doing that?) Puts the onus on the insured for the accuracy of the application.

Yes, life insurance policies still include a copy of the signed application.

How does that even happen lol. Did he not have him sign the application?

I like that idea. I also think full forms should be part of every P&C quote. We shouldn't have to request them.

Back