Agents Making Little to No Money... How / Why?

Yeah, guess I do. It's probably pretty stupid of me to be grilling him on every little micro detail when I'm only considering a major career move...huh?

Seems you have it all figured out. If you think Farmers is the way to go, according to your 'friends success', then go for it. If you think he or you can sustatin that kind of production level, go for it. At some poiint he will be asked to leave the district office, open his own, and spend a lot more than $450 a month. He will be committed by the new contract to only sell Farmers products, even when they do not offer something the client needs. He will be fronted money monthly to match his production, on a declining scale, until he reaches one year as a career agent, then all of the renewals are suppossed to pay the way. If he does not hit Life, as well as P&C numbers for 5 years he will have to pay it back. If he quits, he will have to pay it back.

Our 'negativity' is really just advice from our experiences. I am relatively successfull by any measure you could apply to almost ALL Farmers agents as far as renewals and income, but I did not do it as a Farmers agent. I saw the possibilities and quit and went independent.

Welcome to the forum, you've caught onto the negativity already and are able to spit back sarcasm, impressive. ; )~

It seems hard work is the reason your friend is successful, coincidence? Likely not. So plan and attack.

And even though the debbie downers on this forum don't realize that negativity can cloud the actual advice they try to offer, there is still some wisdom to be found on here.

Do well sir!

Yeah, guess I do. It's probably pretty stupid of me to be grilling him on every little micro detail when I'm only considering a major career move...huh?

Seems you have it all figured out. If you think Farmers is the way to go, according to your 'friends success', then go for it. If you think he or you can sustatin that kind of production level, go for it. At some poiint he will be asked to leave the district office, open his own, and spend a lot more than $450 a month. He will be committed by the new contract to only sell Farmers products, even when they do not offer something the client needs. He will be fronted money monthly to match his production, on a declining scale, until he reaches one year as a career agent, then all of the renewals are suppossed to pay the way. If he does not hit Life, as well as P&C numbers for 5 years he will have to pay it back. If he quits, he will have to pay it back.

Our 'negativity' is really just advice from our experiences. I am relatively successfull by any measure you could apply to almost ALL Farmers agents as far as renewals and income, but I did not do it as a Farmers agent. I saw the possibilities and quit and went independent.

Chuck, I really appreciate the insight you offer...I do.
This thread sort of got off track; I know that becoming a Farmers agent may not be right for me, it may not be right for my buddy either. I started this thread more to discuss how and why it seems that agents are so unsuccessful especially in the beginning of their careers. I know that given the residuals the biz is suppose to get easier with each passing year...but it doesn't seem like it needs to be such a struggle in the beginning. Basically, I'm not 'big picture' enough to wait for income.... I've been bread to expect immediate gratification as a result of my work. I have a real tuff time staying motivated if it takes to long to reach the light at the end of the tunnel. THERE IS NO WAY I COULD PUT 1 YEAR INTO THIS MAKING NOTHING JUST TO MAKE 50K MY 2ND YEAR!

Don't let the seeds of doubt get you.

Buy the Slight Edge by Jeff Olsen, awesome and insightful book.

Chuck, I really appreciate the insight you offer...I do.
This thread sort of got off track; I know that becoming a Farmers agent may not be right for me, it may not be right for my buddy either. I started this thread more to discuss how and why it seems that agents are so unsuccessful especially in the beginning of their careers. I know that given the residuals the biz is suppose to get easier with each passing year...but it doesn't seem like it needs to be such a struggle in the beginning. Basically, I'm not 'big picture' enough to wait for income.... I've been bread to expect immediate gratification as a result of my work. I have a real tuff time staying motivated if it takes to long to reach the light at the end of the tunnel. THERE IS NO WAY I COULD PUT 1 YEAR INTO THIS MAKING NOTHING JUST TO MAKE 50K MY 2ND YEAR!

Welcome to the forum, you've caught onto the negativity already and are able to spit back sarcasm, impressive. ; )~

It seems hard work is the reason your friend is successful, coincidence? Likely not. So plan and attack.

And even though the debbie downers on this forum don't realize that negativity can cloud the actual advice they try to offer, there is still some wisdom to be found on here.

Do well sir!

Hey Rob!
I've lurked here a while and really enjoy the read of your posts. I've seen where some have taken offense to your positive words and energy...STRANGE... but they say only a negative pessimist is offended by a positive optimist. I'm sure you don't let it deter your attitude. I've found plenty of good quality info here; even the negative stuff is sometimes good...haha... I'll be following you around the board and learning I'm sure. Thanks and take care!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't let the seeds of doubt get you.

Buy the Slight Edge by Jeff Olsen, awesome and insightful book.

I'm on it!
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks and you're right, it doesn't bother me.

Like Swayze says in Roadhouse (I think) something like this:

He says don't let people get you mad, and gets the reply, what if they say your mom's a whore, he says "is she?"

He who angers you conquers you!

Hey Rob!
I've lurked here a while and really enjoy the read of your posts. I've seen where some have taken offense to your positive words and energy...STRANGE... but they say only a negative pessimist is offended by a positive optimist. I'm sure you don't let it deter your attitude. I've found plenty of good quality info here; even the negative stuff is sometimes good...haha... I'll be following you around the board and learning I'm sure. Thanks and take care!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm on it!
Thanks again.

On the one hand you could say some are negative on this forum but most are realistic.

The reality is this like it or not 90% of those who attempt insurance sales will fail.

They will fail for a myriad of reason but mostly lack of capital, skills and work ethic are the main culprits.

Sales training is somewhat useful but is an empty calorie in most cases because the student doesn't apply what he learns.

Capital is critical because if you can't market you cannot sell. It does indeed take money to make money and without a well formed marketing scheme clients will not beat a path to your door.

Finally you must work your ass off at least in the beginning. In my opinion P&C is probably the worst way to make money in the industry because it is very service intensive and in most cases mobile work is difficult. Life, Health, annuities etc are higher compensation but one must have a marketing plan to succeed. if you work your ass off you can make 250,000 plus if you don't you will make less.

The average agent still only makes 40,000 because he does alot of things on a daily basis that do not generate sales. Remember anything other than marketing and sales work is not productive. If you can farm out administration and concentrate on income producing activity. You can either farm out to automation, CRM's etc or you hire someone. The key is to focus on what makes you money, learn along the way and develop expertise. In that way you can learn in one what took some 10 years to learn.

Can you succeed yes... will it be easy at first no but if you get over the hump it will become seemingly effortless eventually because you will love what you do.

Last edited:
One of my points, though I may not have been clear, is if you have a mentor and a way learning the ropes, you are far better off as an independent and not focusing on P&C. The more immediate and much better money is in L&H.

Not mentioned much but very important is the learning process. You have to read, research and study products. You will never be just a salesman in this business and survive. You have to do the right things for the right reasons, and knowledge of your products will lead you down the right path.

Back