Alignment Health HMO Question

phaedruspress

Expert
I currently have traditional Medicare an HDF Plan F and Part D Anthem MediBlue Rx Enhanced (PDP). My agent sent me an email reminding me of open enrollment coming up and included information on different plans and some changes to others. I have no idea if the included info is sponsored or not. One of the companies which happened to lead off the email was Alignment Health HMO. The included blurb said:

Alignment Health HMO
New to southern Nevada (Clark County only). They will be offering some very niche benefits. Example: a concierge card that provides 24/7 access to anything you need. You can call for pet care*, pest control*, transportation, set up an appointment with a virtual doctor, companion care, gym membership, discuss health-related topics with a clinician, etc.
"The "Black Card" is a credit card - accepted at over 50,000 locations nationwide and works like a debit card to pay for approved items, including over-the-counter items, grocery, and health rewards program items at participating retailers like Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, and more."
Dental: If you are someone needing a lot of dental care, this is an incredibly rich plan option for you.

*On select plans only

I live in Clark County so I would supposedly be eligible. The pet care, pest control benefits seem ridiculous to me which are no doubt an added cost toasted into the monthly premium. What did interest me was the blurb about "If you are someone needing a lot of dental care, this is an incredibly rich plan option for you."

Can anyone voice their experience with Alignment Health HMO and in particular the dental aspect of it all or is it too early to know. On the Alignment Health HMO website they have no info for 2021. In addition I would have to be giving up my HDF which so far has been a good decision for me as well as Part D Anthem MediBlue Rx Enhanced (PDP) plan. I can be turned down my an HMO right even during open enrollment just like if I wanted to switch Medigap plans? Is that right? In any event if someone could shed some light on Alignment and their dental plan it would be appreciated. Male 70.

Plans can't market for the next year until Oct 1. So starting tomorrow you should see 2021 info on Alignment's site.

Plans can't market for the next year until Oct 1. So starting tomorrow you should see 2021 info on Alignment's site.

Thank you. "A couple of days early and always a dollar short." Apologies if I repost the same question in about a week or.

I've had 2-3 phone calls in the last week letting me know it is open enrollment and giving me an opportunity to "hear my options". :laugh:

I've had 2-3 phone calls in the last week letting me know it is open enrollment and giving me an opportunity to "hear my options". :laugh:

So I am going to go out on a limb and presume you are not interested in adding "pet care*, pest control" to your policy.

Here is an article about evauating your HDF situation which may give you some things to keep in mind as you reevaluate your situation.

High-deductible Medigap plan makes sense for some

-----------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I have chosen to consider somarco's thoughts about supplements vs MA when I have considered MA plans. It was harder this past year when $0 mapd's came to my area, but I continued with the supplement.

I just think about it as musical chairs and I don't want to be stuck in Medicare Advantage world when the music stops.

There is a definite premium risk with going with HDF because a sudden health change could leave you with deductible plus premium, but at least that leaves a situation in the original Medicare environment.

Thanks for the "High-deductible Medigap plan makes sense for some" link. I searched "somarco" on the board and found this "somarco GA Medicare Expert". Is there a particular post you had in mind regarding "thoughts about supplements vs MA". TIA.

I can't point to a specific post at the moment.

There is ongoing discussion here about selling MA/MAPD and Medigap, or just Medigap.

Somarco is one of the proponents of Medigap only. He is outspoken in his views, in some posts he is careful to point out that those are just his views and others don't need to adhere to them. In short, he is just not a fan of the managed care model of medical services. Some MAPD sales folks criticize him pretty heavily for his views.

On the other hand, I have had conversation with a Medicare sales agent who posts here from time to time, who has a chronic condition, and even with that, believes that MAPD is the best route for him when he goes on Medicare.

My worst hater on the forum is a FL agent who has also had very good MAPD experience (in FL) including one relatively serious operation.

I can't rehash all the details here. For me, for my age and my state, somarco's arguments seem significant and I believe the longer term financial risks to me of a "free" Medicare related plan are significant enough that I am staying with Original Medicare and Medigap.

I am starting to wonder where the point is where I should be seriously looking at switching from HDF to regular G. Not there yet, but I think the time may be coming.

You will have to look at your own situation and make your own choice.

Back