Already left EGHP in November, options?

beachbum2012

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm trying to help an acquaintance who is helping a relative:

71 year-old male lost employer coverage in November. He (for whatever reason) hasn't signed up for Part B yet. I think he's trying to find another job with coverage.

So he's still in his Part B 8-month SEP window. But what about supplemental coverage?

If he wants a medsupp, no problem. He'll be in his Medigap OE period. But I don't think he can get a PDP now that it's more than 2 months after his employer coverage ended, right?

If he wants an MAPD, is this doable? I'm trying to find an answer online but not finding a clear-cut answer. Some articles say he'll still get an ICEP which will be the 3 months before Part B is effective, and can sign up then. Others say he can't get an MAPD until AEP since it's been more than 2 months after he lost employer coverage.

Anyone have experience or an answer for this? Even if he's allowed to sign up for an MAPD now to start when Part B does, I would imagine he'll still have a Part D LEP since he's gone more than 63 days without creditable coverage.

PDP/MAPD goes based off his part A effective date or date of loss of cred coverage. Looks like he’ll have to wait for aep for rx.

Thanks guys. That's what I figured, but the content I found about the ICEP made me think he had a shot.

Which doesn't make any sense. Why have an 8-month SEP after work stops if you only get 2 months to get a PDP or MAPD?

Thanks guys. That's what I figured, but the content I found about the ICEP made me think he had a shot.

Which doesn't make any sense. Why have an 8-month SEP after work stops if you only get 2 months to get a PDP or MAPD?

It's the government!

Who says it should make sense?

I tell my clients, I don't make the rules, I just explain them.

It may be that there are two entirely different pieces of legislation, one controlling Parts A and B and a second controlling Parts C and D.

PDP/MAPD goes based off his part A effective date or date of loss of cred coverage. Looks like he’ll have to wait for aep for rx.

Not exactly. Like OP referenced, if the person starts Part B (8/1 for example) then the ICEP would be 5/1 to 7/31 which would allow for MAPD enrollment. It doesn't matter that he might (assuming) already have Part A.

Not exactly. Like OP referenced, if the person starts Part B (8/1 for example) then the ICEP would be 5/1 to 7/31 which would allow for MAPD enrollment. It doesn't matter that he might (assuming) already have Part A.

So MAPD ok but not PDP, right?

Back