'Am i entitled to a commission' .... Why not?

Mike Siegal

Guru
100+ Post Club
Am I entitled to a Commission...When;
  1. Client is on Humana Basic w/ Another Broker, but would do better with a Humana PPO? (their present Broker has dropped the Ball, or the client doesn't like them or what-ever-the-reason, doesn't want to call their broker). IF I SWITCH them to the New Humana PPO plan, Do I become the broker of Record, AND 'Am I entitled to a Commission.
  2. Humana Client is moving across town to a new area, with new Doctors n Hospitals. If I switch them to another Humana Plan; Do I become the broker of Record, AND 'Am I entitled to a Commission?'
I am speaker of Medicare plans and will use Humana as an example. This comes up quite a bit as i am constantly running into Seniors who already have a plan but would be better of in another plan 'with the Same Carrier.'

Needs Change and so should their plan. BUT I QUICKLY lose interest when they tell me they already have a plan and agent.

So the question is; ' Do I become the broker of Record, AND 'Am I entitled to a Commission?' ----and Why not?

Thoughts / Comments ?

1. Client is on Humana Basic w/ Another Broker, but would do better with a Humana PPO? (their present Broker has dropped the Ball, or the client doesn't like them or what-ever-the-reason, doesn't want to call their broker). IF I SWITCH them to the New Humana PPO plan, Do I become the broker of Record, AND 'Am I entitled to a Commission.
  2. Humana Client is moving across town to a new area, with new Doctors n Hospitals. If I switch them to another Humana Plan; Do I become the broker of Record, AND 'Am I entitled to a Commission?'
I am speaker of Medicare plans and will use Humana as an example. This comes up quite a bit as i am constantly running into Seniors who already have a plan but would be better of in another plan 'with the Same Carrier.'

Needs Change and so should their plan. BUT I QUICKLY lose interest when they tell me they already have a plan and agent.

So the question is; ' Do I become the broker of Record, AND 'Am I entitled to a Commission?' ----and Why not?

Thoughts / Comments ?
In the old days, if you changed their net work, you became the new agent, if you kept them within the same network, the original agent got the commission. I have no idea if that’s still the way that it is figured.

But I do know that companies change with the wind, and they don’t even play by their own rules consistently. This is an area where agents get disappointed very often. Your safest move is to put them with a completely different company.

. Your safest move is to put them with a completely different company.

This ^^^, because . . . shit happens.

With Humana if it is a different plan number from an external agent you get it. If it is switched internally by Humana, you supposedly stay AOR and get the commission.

Qualified response . . .

Oh, and shit happens . . .

Thoughts / Comments ?

Yes Yes Yes . If you change the plan period you’re the aor. If an internal sales rep flips your plan you stay the aor . I run into so much trash it crazy .30% of my business is moving with the same carrier to a better plan. I ran into qmb with a part b give back plan yesterday . These call centers going wild flipping anyone they can . The rep will be gone in 2 months and could care less .

Yes Yes Yes . If you change the plan period you’re the aor. If an internal sales rep flips your plan you stay the aor . I run into so much trash it crazy .30% of my business is moving with the same carrier to a better plan. I ran into qmb with a part b give back plan yesterday . These call centers going wild flipping anyone they can . The rep will be gone in 2 months and could care less .
Thanks Don ~

WHAT ABOUT flipping an 'INTERNAL sale' driven by Humana Captive... suppose i Flip one of their sales... ????

The simple answer is you are entitled to a commission if Humana decides you are. Humana used to give leads to their in-house (captive) agents; if I sold a PDP, a Humana captive agent would contact them within two weeks, and try to sell them a MA plan, and it's all gone. If I sell a MA, a captive Humana agent would call (or just stop by their house) and suggest a different MA. They finally quit doing that crap maybe 4 years ago. Working with any of these MA companies is like making a deal with the devil; your biggest competitor is the company you write for. Even if the company's official policy says one thing, you can't count on it always happening that way; but what are you going to do.

Now, changing the subject slightly, think of all that training you took; you know, where it says you absolutely cannot initiate a MA/PDP sales call to a prospect? How many times a day are your clients robo-called by an agent who (a) doesn't follow the rule against cold-calling and (b) Humana (and Wellcare, UHC, Aetna, Cigna, etc.) won't do a damn thing about it. I get cold called, too, and I'm not even on Medicare; I asked how they got my number, and the universal response is that I asked to be contacted, but they can never say when or where or how I made such a request. These crooked agents don't care because nobody out there will actually enforce the no-call laws; the government won't enforce it, nor will the companies (who are 100% totally aware that they are accepting a lot of cold-call business). Too much money in the MA business, and as such, corruption abounds.

Last edited:
The simple answer is you are entitled to a commission if Humana decides you are. Humana used to give leads to their in-house (captive) agents; if I sold a PDP, a Humana captive agent would contact them within two weeks, and try to sell them a MA plan, and it's all gone. If I sell a MA, a captive Humana agent would call (or just stop by their house) and suggests and different MA. They finally quit doing that crap maybe 4 years ago. Working with any of these MA companies is like making a deal with the devil; your biggest competitor is the company you write for. Even if their official policy says one thing, you can't count on it always happening that way; but what are you going to do.

Same applies to MAPD carriers that also write PDP. On more than one occasion clients tell me they got a call from their PDP carrier (not "Amana", I have not suggested them in years) telling them about a "NEW" plan with no premium and it includes dental and vision at no extra charge.

Now who is lying?

Most notably, Cigna does not allow agents to enroll clients in their PDP's and depending upon a client's Rx profile, one of their three Part D plans may be the most appropriate coverage. That is in my opinion in order to allow Cigna to reach out to the member directly and sell them on a $0.00 Medicare Replacement Plan with $ 100 per quarter for Flint Stone vitamins and Depends.

Back