Ancillary products

John,
Have you experienced any issues with selling ancillary products to your clients? For example, you recommended that people here in MD obtain a Careington plan because of numerous reasons. I checked into being able to sell Careington plans and an agent can net $35 per application with 25% renewals for the life of the discount plan. Do you not consider that an incentive to sell those plans if you are going to refer them to Careington anyways to meet their dental/vision needs?

-J.R.
My clients had too many negative experiences with Careington so I stopped selling it. The dentists love to play stupid when a client calls with "What? Careington? Never heard of 'em." Then the client has to get agressive and say they're on the Careington list.

Then the dentist wants to play the game that they have no clue what the negotiated rate is. I've even had client bring in the rate sheet and the response is "I didn't agree this."

Just too much bs. Plus, it's a given that no one's current dentist takes the plan. I have enough headaches with health insurance - I don't need angry clients over a $35 commission.

john_petrowski said:
John,
Have you experienced any issues with selling ancillary products to your clients? For example, you recommended that people here in MD obtain a Careington plan because of numerous reasons. I checked into being able to sell Careington plans and an agent can net $35 per application with 25% renewals for the life of the discount plan. Do you not consider that an incentive to sell those plans if you are going to refer them to Careington anyways to meet their dental/vision needs?

-J.R.
My clients had too many negative experiences with Careington so I stopped selling it. The dentists love to play stupid when a client calls with "What? Careington? Never heard of 'em." Then the client has to get agressive and say they're on the Careington list.

Then the dentist wants to play the game that they have no clue what the negotiated rate is. I've even had client bring in the rate sheet and the response is "I didn't agree this."

Just too much bs. Plus, it's a given that no one's current dentist takes the plan. I have enough headaches with health insurance - I don't need angry clients over a $35 commission.

What do you recommend then to prospective or current clients who would like some assistance with dental and/or vision?

I tell them the truth - that most dental/vision plans are simply not worth it. Even dental insurance through Aetna or Blue Cross isn't worth it. For example. Aetna's family rate for dental insurance is around $70 per month. For that you get free preventative....or do you.

$70 X 12 = $840 Say it's a family of 4 - that's $210 a piece. I have nothing and when I get my teeth cleaned the dentist charges me $60. Same with my wife and son.

So what about larger events? I attatched the Aetna dental brochure. Larger events are just a discount. So what's the discount? No one will tell you. I know what the discount is - it's C R A P.

I had group dental with Blue Cross about 6 years ago. My wife broke off a part of her tooth and needed major work. The dentist didn't even want to accept the Blue Cross dental card we had saying her procedure wasn't covered under the insurance. We asked about the discount - it was barely 10%. We paid thousands.

Dental is a load of crap. That's what I tell my clients. Careington vision? We had it. It's 10% off an eye exam and 15% off contacts. It's also $10 per month or $100 a year. An eye exam anywhere is $100 so you save $10. Again, not worth it.

Attachments

• aetna_dental_insurance_655.pdf
    25.3 KB · Views: 27
I agree with you, John, and that's why I stopped selling PPL. Very good product. Compliments health and life. But, not worth it, going around the city, picking up small $$.

That's why I concentrate on small businesses (no more than 49 employees) and individual/family plans. These are the ones that the MDRT's are overlooking. I have actually walked away from a few sales, rather than sell them Dental or Vision coverage.

PPL agents are excellent people to network with, though. They always know someone, or a company, who needs coverage. My PPL lady moved to CO., so I just gave it up when she moved. Never met anyone else I cared for, who sold PPL.

Back