Any Debit Agents Left?

THOUGH this debit post is old....eight years latter the debit agent is still strong in some states. I have been at it over 30 years. In debit sales, combined with some regular ordinary, you can make 45000 a year in the less populated areas.
I tried getting away from it but it follows me. Someone changes a rule, no call list, or cells come out and the debit becomes my source of leads and diciplines me to stay out 8 or 10 hours a day.

With increases in costs of things such as gas, car repair and meals, it seems to me that this business model would have much more expense per $ of premium received now than 10-20 years ago.

It also seems like it would be much more dangerous. I think I would feel like I had a target on my back all the time if I was walking through a neighborhood doing something like this.

Last edited:
I have no personal experience with debit but I have been told by people who should know that everybody in the debit neighborhoods know who the debit agents are and nobody messes with them.

Probably because it's known that they're "packin'".:laugh:

I started out in debit about 25 years ago and what ICA says is true. But I think the real reason is that they all know you're their to see their mommas and their mommas will kick their butts if they mess with their shonanceman.

I have no personal experience with debit but I have been told by people who should know that everybody in the debit neighborhoods know who the debit agents are and nobody messes with them.

This is true. I ran a debit for a couple years and only had one sticky situation. It was a new prospect and not a client so they weren't in the "don't mess with the suranceman" gang yet.

I learned a whole lot running a debit. I think the most important thing was our clients. I really learned the FE clientele by doing this!

I started out in debit about 25 years ago and what ICA says is true. But I think the real reason is that they all know you're their to see their mommas and their mommas will kick their butts if they mess with their shonanceman.

I believe it. Wino told me of a similar story a few years ago. He was visiting a client and came outside to find several members of the neighborhood welcoming committee leaning on his car. He was preparing himself for a fight when she stuck her head out the door and told them to leave him alone. Sure enough, he said they all scattered.

My grandfather was a debit agent and my mother had been in bookkeeping briefly at the agency where he worked. She always told me no one would bother me in certain neighborhoods as long as it was daytime or I was clearly passing through. It is when you start driving around at dark and are up to no good that you are fair game.

Of course, with some of the idiots today, I don't know if they are smart enough to respect the "rules".

I believe it. Wino told me of a similar story a few years ago. He was visiting a client and came outside to find several members of the neighborhood welcoming committee leaning on his car. He was preparing himself for a fight when she stuck her head out the door and told them to leave him alone. Sure enough, he said they all scattered.

My grandfather was a debit agent and my mother had been in bookkeeping briefly at the agency where he worked. She always told me no one would bother me in certain neighborhoods as long as it was daytime or I was clearly passing through. It is when you start driving around at dark and are up to no good that you are fair game.

Of course, with some of the idiots today, I don't know if they are smart enough to respect the "rules".
In the 70s I attended staff Mgr. School with a guy who ran a debit in the Grant Park area of Atlanta before being promoted. He had been robbed 3 times in a little over two years. I always wondered what he was doing that sent out the vibes he was an easy mark because other agents worked that area for years and never had any trouble.

In the 70s I attended staff Mgr. School with a guy who ran a debit in the Grant Park area of Atlanta before being promoted. He had been robbed 3 times in a little over two years. I always wondered what he was doing that sent out the vibes he was an easy mark because other agents worked that area for years and never had any trouble.

I bet he was a jerk.

I thought after my previous post, "I bet you can't go around being a jerk on a debit route."

Back