Anyone ever cold approach drilling rigs?

WTX2WY

Expert
I am in W TX and there are drilling rigs everywhere, depending on the area you can spot 3-10 on the horizon in any direction.

There are typically 5-10 company men/foremen/supervisors/mud loggers/etc on site in the trailers and all make good money, with a lot of the company men making several thousand a day. They often work 30 on /30 off so they are there 24/7.

There are also a dozen or so guys actually working ON the rig. These guys make good money but probably not approachable while on the clock.

I know oil services company salesmen approach the rigs, as well as food truck types. So approaching these guys is not unheard of. However it is a high risk environment and one would probably need to have proper safety gear if walking on site.

The reason I bring this up is that I've had several people tell me I should approach the company men and others on site to sell. The only reason for even considering this is the company men make $200k-$500k/yr so can afford large policies and they are usually not hanging around the office on their days off to approach there. I am also already in these areas, so wouldn't be driving 100s of miles out of the way to find them, basically just stopping in as I see them. Could be a tremendous referral network if successful at getting a few as clients.

Does anyone have experience cold approaching the company men and others directly at the rig site for insurance?

(this is a very niche question so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets zero responses. or 5 pages of smart ass responses)

Most are smokers, quite a few have DUI's and other charges so the premium can get high but they make a lot of money. It's possible, but I have more luck pitching to the oil field wives. Setting up the exam and getting them to follow through and set everything up is tough.

Most are smokers, quite a few have DUI's and other charges so the premium can get high but they make a lot of money. It's possible, but I have more luck pitching to the oil field wives. Setting up the exam and getting them to follow through and set everything up is tough.

Thanks for the response.

Approaching wives, setting appointments is probably more efficient than approaching the husband at the rig itself. Wives are often the decision maker and almost always the influencer when it comes to insurance, at least for what I sell (cancer/heart/accident).

I spoke with an oil field service company salesman today and he thought it would be a long shot. I will still give it a run, because why not. Have to go buy some steel toed boots, FR clothes, hardhat, and safety glasses. And pizzas. haha. Worst case scenario I am selling $500 worth of rig gear on facebook for half off, best case I get into a niche of bored guys at work who can spend $200/mo on a supplemental policy without batting an eye, and opening a referral stream.

Back