Are You Selling at 0% Commission?

AgentStone

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
During SEP, we will receive calls from former clients, referrals and prospects who's providers are only in health plans paying 0% commission.

Given the potential of cross selling and referrals, what would you do...

- Write the app
or
- Send them direct to the carrier

During SEP, we will receive calls from former clients, referrals and prospects who's providers are only in health plans paying 0% commission.

Given the potential of cross selling and referrals, what would you do...

- Write the app
or
- Send them direct to the carrier

If they're close to being Medicare eligible, I'd probably help them . . . .

+1000 Cadylou

If they walk into my office and I am not busy I might help them enroll, but no servicing. Definitely yes if they have other products with our agency (we have other lines besides health, want to keep them happy).

+1000 Cadylou

If they walk into my office and I am not busy I might help them enroll, but no servicing. Definitely yes if they have other products with our agency (we have other lines besides health, want to keep them happy).

ABSOLUTELY NO! Take on liability without compensation, no way in hell. And I will tell the customer client straight up - only way is if there is another APP placed (not dental vision :1frown: ) and no HDF for them sorry!

ABSOLUTELY NO! Take on liability without compensation, no way in hell. And I will tell the customer client straight up - only way is if there is another APP placed (not dental vision :1frown: ) and no HDF for them sorry!

I understand that, we each have our limits. If someone takes the time to drive to my agency (we are not visible from the road), I am going to help them. Just for the sake of reputation and future business. These people can be cross sold later or that same day.

I just enrolled a family of three this morning who was referred by someone I helped that ended up going on the state insurance due to pregnancy. Had I refused to help the pregnant lady for the 15 minutes that it took me to enroll her (because that doesn't pay commission), it is unlikely that she would have referred me to anyone. The family this morning bought a product that still pays a decent commission.

I am not seeking out U65 business at all anymore though. No ads or flyers, no marketing, no seeking out or buying leads. We are done with that. We will help walk-ins, existing agency clients and their referrals, that is how we are playing it it as an agency.

In Connecticut only UHC is not commissionable and they are never the best option. However, we have the option of signing clients up for Medicaid which pays a $0 commission.

I will frequently help people that qualify for Medicaid but depends:
  • Are they a client (current or former)?
  • Were they referred?
  • Are they likely to qualify for a commissionable product in the foreseeable future?
  • Am I in a good mood?
  • Are we in an OEP or AEP?
  • Do I like the person?

• Are they a client (current or former)?
  • Were they referred?
  • Are they likely to qualify for a commissionable product in the foreseeable future?
  • Am I in a good mood?
  • Are we in an OEP or AEP?
  • Do I like the person?

Love this. This is going to be my guideline for SEP's. "Do I like them?"

I'm glad that I work the Medicare market. Rarely a situation with 0% comp.

Even some Medicaid eligible people, if a snp won't work... I tell them to call the government and move on...

Back