As Trump seeks to end Obamacare, red states are expanding Medicaid

These Doctors should have all funding withheld until they comply. By refusing patients, they are in contradiction of an oath they took.

Doctors with admitting privileges to hospitals that accept govt funds (including Medicare, Medicaid, DSH, etc) are required to accept Medicaid patients.

Others are not.

Doctors are allowed to opt out of Medicare. Is that a problem for you?

The states have to pay 10% of the medicaid costs. Enough to blow up the states' budget.
And it is a risk that it could be yanked or increased portion paid.

Is this a half truth?

Some folks have selective hearing and reading skills.

You're so cute, just because it's supposed to be free, doesn't mean it WILL be free.

What would be cheaper? Covering and paying for everybody's insurance, or just paying the costs for the uninsured who actually end up needing healthcare? And who pays for those claims? the taxpayer ALSO.

Congress said COVID-19 tests should be free—but who's paying?

Five Things to Know about the Cost of COVID-19 Testing and Treatment

Obamacare was a financial disaster from the start. Never should have MANDATED personal responsibility. Never should have stripped UNDERWRITING as a carrier risk management tool. Never should have REQUIRED coverage for pre-ex without a WAITING PERIOD.

The upshot of the Obamacare/Medicaid package is
- higher premiums
- higher OOP
- less access to health care

How is this an improvement?

Rather than using taxpayer dollars to fund health INSURANCE (not health CARE) was completely idiotic.

Better choice was to leave the system that worked for MOST of the population in place. Create a subsidized national risk pool for the 5% of uninsured who could not qualify medically for insurance.

Just when you think DC can't get any dumber they give us this piece of crap.

The states have to pay 10% of the medicaid costs. Enough to blow up the states' budget.
And it is a risk that it could be yanked or increased portion paid.

Is this a half truth?

I said its a half-truth because states that did not expand on Medicaid were originally following a political narrative.

They then moved on to this economic point that Somarco mentioned.

However, states that sat down and did the math saw that the risk may be worth the reward.

Take for example Utah. Although they were spending less on Medicaid before Medicaid expansion, economists saw it allowed them to save money once they expanded.

Many traditional state funded services were now being covered under federal funds.

So yes more money is being put out but how much of that money is the states money?

In addition states had rural areas that looked forward to Medicaid expansion to help support hospitals in those areas.

So while hopsitals made less on visits with Medicaid, they got more individuals who can actually pay for care.

This helped reduced the uncompensated burden hospitals were facing in some areas.

Whether you support it or not, I take my hat off to states like Wyoming who are currently weighing the pros and cons.

Check the 13 remaining states who are still holding out and look at where they are on the U.S. map and you will see that this started with them following a political narrative.

But wait... you can keep your doctor and your current coverage!

Bold face lie... and instead of ripping on the ones responsible for the mess we argue over the nuances of a load of crap... and re-elect idiots that can't balance a check book.

Oh well, you all weren't going to use that money for anything good anyway... just add it to your next tax check.

There are some that will argue that shutting down the economy to fight covid will lead to elevated suicides or illicit drug use and addictions, yet fail to consider those suffering from chronic illnesses left untreated due to costs, may also elevate suicide and drug use rates. It's quite the contradiction really.

You don't know why I said its a half truth but I have selective hearing and reading skills?

Slow your horses for a second.

@Tothetop you don't know who I was quoting (Yagents). If you don't know that how do you get to the top?

There are some that will argue that shutting down the economy to fight covid will lead to elevated suicides or illicit drug use and addictions, yet fail to consider those suffering from chronic illnesses left untreated due to costs, may also elevate suicide and drug use rates. It's quite the contradiction really.

The economic impact of the shutdown has already hurt more businesses and individuals than the effect on those who have contracted COVID and had serious health issues. Keep in mind that less than 20% of those who test positive are admitted to the hospital.

3M confirmed diagnoses
900k recovered
130k deaths

Currently 18M unemployed. That number will likely rise as businesses large and small permanently close their doors.

There are agents on this forum who complained loudly about how banning F2F had hurt their business. At least they can find other ways to service existing clients and make new sales.

Folks who cook and serve food, wash cars, work in retail stores don't have many alternatives.

I am not being cold-hearted about those who have become ill or died from corona. But 18M get's my attention more than 3M.

@Tothetop you don't know who I was quoting (Yagents). If you don't know that how do you get to the top?

The economic impact of the shutdown has already hurt more businesses and individuals than the effect on those who have contracted COVID and had serious health issues. Keep in mind that less than 20% of those who test positive are admitted to the hospital.

3M confirmed diagnoses
900k recovered
130k deaths

Currently 18M unemployed. That number will likely rise as businesses large and small permanently close their doors.

There are agents on this forum who complained loudly about how banning F2F had hurt their business. At least they can find other ways to service existing clients and make new sales.

Folks who cook and serve food, wash cars, work in retail stores don't have many alternatives.

I am not being cold-hearted about those who have become ill or died from corona. But 18M get's my attention more than 3M.

Keep in mind out of the 3 million many had very little symptoms so those really effected is a much smaller number

Back