Assurant Benefit Changes

His explanation was that policies with the rate locks on them would still be required to add the preventive care benefits and other mandated benefits at the first of year, so they would increase even though they had the rate lock by the cost of the new benefits. They will be there, they just won't apply to "new" benefits. Any policy sold after March 23 will not be considered grandfathered in to be exempt from adding the new preventive care benefits.

He might be misinformed, I just know what he said and he sounded like he had a firm grasp on what they were actually doing.

Is there anywhere where they are even competitive?

I give 'em a max of 24 more months in the IFP game. With reform, you'll have to get big, stay big, or be gone.

They target certain areas in each state I think. In VA, they can be competitive in the major metro areas like northern VA. Not even close in the rural areas.

Is there anywhere where they are even competitive?

I give 'em a max of 24 more months in the IFP game. With reform, you'll have to get big, stay big, or be gone.

The Health Access Minimed plans are some of the best on the market, they're reasonably competitive in some zip codes in TN but they're a fallback for me depending on UW, ive ran into a few situations where they had the best UW for certain health conditions.

They are all over the place in Ohio. In one area, their OneDeductible HSA will be the lowest rate or very close to it. 45 miles away, that same policy is double the rate of the top carrier.

Very strange.

it's because their actuaries are the best in the 'biz

don't believe me?

just ask 'em.

Last edited:
I have had problems with Assurant before. This was the last straw. I removed them from my web site and suspended any mention of them with my clients.

Their representative justified their higher price, and to be fair I understand the justification, when he explained that they do not have limits for prescription coverage like most other individual plans in my state have. I only use their IM when a client says they want an unlimited prescription benefit. Otherwise, in my area, there are other more economical choices.

In the past I used their voluntary supplements rather than AFLAC or Conseco but they have suspended those as well until they get a new portfolio.

I have tried to contract with both AFLAC and Conseco in the past several years but apparently, I am not good enough for either of them to return my calls. If a marketing company cannot return calls to interested agents it makes me wonder about their customer service to my clients. Am I trading a commission today for an E & O tomorrow?

Right now, we only sell Assurant right now if the client needs a short term policy or a plan C if they have ht and wt issues. They are selling new plans in TX & CO called Clarity plans. We will have to see if they are rolled out to the rest of the states. Also, Assurant is for sale right now and shopping for a buyer...

Back