Assurant Benefit Changes

The Wall Street Journal has an article titled, 'Assurant Explores Options for Health Business Including Sale.' It is in the April 29, 2010 paper. Sorry. I am too new so they would not let me add a link.

Last edited:
Assurant is for sale right now and shopping for a buyer...

Not all that surprising. Perhaps this explains their recent drop in rates in GA in an attempt to fluff up their block. Based on what I have seen of them here in GA they can't be making much money if any on their block. When your rates are sky high as theirs have been all you get are the cases no one else wants.

GR is in that same position in GA.

Well it's at least nice to know that the carriers are keeping their sales force in the loop.

Yes, I remember when Bank of America bought Nation's Bank - where my wife had been working for 13 years. She went into work one Monday 2 weeks before Christmas at 9am. She called me at 11am to tell me they laid off her department effective....now. She was on her way home.

Of course I read in local news yesterday that the ESPN Zone at Baltimore's Inner Harbor is shutting down this coming Tuesday. An employee they interviewed commented that she found out about the news by watching TV - then approached management which confirmed that yes, she was out of a job in 6 days.

Years ago I worked for Penn Mutual. They told the WSJ they were getting out of the group health business before they told employees. I got a call from an agent telling me what he had read in the WSJ and asking what I was going to do next.

I find it odd that the WSJ article on Assurant is over a month old (4/29) and just now making its' way to the forum now. Must be one of the best kept secrets we have ever had.

My buddy who works the group market in MD used to work for Mamsi, on salary. I think it was out 2005 when UHC bought them and word from corporate was "all is well."

He called me about 2 month later. The Mamsi inside sales force was fired by UHC. Pack your stuff.

Back