Assurant/John Alden & PCHS

stuy119

Guru
1000 Post Club
What is the general perception of them in the marketplace, both on the group and individual side? I attended a seminar yesterday, and the product end looks good. I'm more worried about the service end.

And what about the PCHS network? Any problems with Dr. or hospital choices?

Varies by area. Some places they are competitive, most they are not. They have been reducing rates in GA for several years and finally got to a point where they are competitive. That last 20% or so rate reduction did it.

Pretty scary.

PHCS is a large network but the discounts are usually much less than other networks.

As a whole, they have a lot of complaints.

My experience with Assurant on the group side is they buy business and then hammer it at renewal. The question you want to ask for your state is what is the avg group rate increase? I bet the sales rep will have to get back to you on that question.

The other issue I have with them is the sales reps. They are all over the place. So you could end up with someone from home office that you will never meet.

When it comes to plan design they run a 50% co insurance plan that is unique.

In Indiana there target market is under 15 lives.

PHCS is a rented network. I have only sold it when I a multi state group.

All good point.

Somarco, I've heard that but never experienced it.

ABC, the sales reps in the Chicago market have all been with the company for 10+ years. Average group rate increase last year was 15-18%, which is right in line with everything I've seen/heard from UHC, BCBS, and Aetna. Humana was slightly less.

And that 50% plan would be pretty nice with an HRA in place. Otherwise, most people will look at you a little funny, even if it is a better deal.

Back