AT&T Retiree T65 Seeks Health Insur Options...

AT&T is not the only large company to change the direction of retiree plans. Coca-Cola, IBM, Pepsi, Emory University and many others have felt the pain of funding retiree coverage and moved to control costs by changing to an HRA.

There is no such thing as lifetime benefits. In the case of union employees your benefit plans are subject to change everytime the CBA comes up for negotiation.

At least you get to vote on the new agreement. Non-union employees have no say.

My biggest complaint with these arrangements is the way the corporations outsource retiree advice and counsel to consultants like Aon. The consulting firms are paid big money to handle retiree coverage then hire frontline advisors for $18/hour to "advise" you on your options. You are forced to pick from a stable of (mostly) overpriced plans that generate additional revenue back to the consulting firm.

In many cases if you don't use the consulting firm you forfeit your HRA benefit. These "handcuffs" (tie in arrangements) are not just unfair but most likely illegal. Yet no one has dared to challenge them.

On one hand the corporations are doing a favor by allowing retirees to have a choice vs the one-size-fits-all approach of corporate retiree health insurance. It could have been improved by removing the tie in and allowing true free market choices.

I was never in a union so didn't vote on anything. I was a management employee for over 25 years. From what I have been reading the retirees aren't so happy.

Not sure what your angle is? You have only joined to complain on this thread. I personally know many AT&T retirees on Medicare and they are ALL satisfied with what they have and know that compared to most other retirees they have a pretty good deal. Non-union people who accepted early retirements maybe 10-15 years ago that included health benefits. I don't know what the Under 65 AT&T retiree benefits are like, but the Medicare- aged AT&T people are happy with what they have. I wish they were my clients, though. LOL. Hate that I can't be their agent.

I have to research more but haven't been able to get an AT&T rep on the phone. From what I've read online, they give us $2700 to spend ... $225 a month which isn't much. From what I understand, people are paying $750+ for really crappy medical coverage. The initial agreement was full medical coverage for life...no charge.

It's a bummer that you feel like you are not getting what you were promised. I must say when I fully began to learn what they were providing to retirees, $2700 and $1500 to the spouse, I was impressed. When you compare that to so many other people, who get none, it's impressive to see ATT do that. But nonetheless, if you were promised more, then it's no wonder you are upset, I would be too.

If you or your retiree friends are interested in shopping outside of AON, feel free to contact me :)

Back