Auto/Home in VA - Questions

pfg1

Guru
1000 Post Club
I live in VA, and we have Nationwide for auto/homeowners. Been with them for 28yrs. Both my wife and I have basically perfect driving records, and we've had no real claims to speak of (auto or home). We have a son that just turned 16 and will be getting his license soon... so I got to thinking about coverage.

I have a local agent, he doesn't do squat. I NEVER hear from him, have never met him in person (was transferred to him many years ago when we moved into this area). He will call me back when I call with questions. Seems like every year my cost goes up, and we NEVER have a claim for anything. Our credit is great, payments have always been on time, yet I feel like we don't really get anything from Nationwide other than increasing costs.

I know our cost will go up when we add our son - they told me around $100/mo. because he's an honor roll student. I've been thinking of shopping around, my only concern is that what happens if my son (or myself or wife) are involved in an accident on a newly opened policy? Will they drop us? Or drastically increase the rates? Honestly, that has been the only thing keeping me from switching for a while - I have 28yrs of perfect record with Nationwide, I feel like they wouldn't drop me no matter what. (maybe I'm kidding myself)

So I guess my real question... lets say I could save some decent money, would it be worth switching at this point? Are there any carriers that are better in my state than others, with an auto/home bundle - and a teen driver?

I honestly don't even know what a good or bad rate is... I just feel like my coverage shouldn't keep going up when we don't ever have a claim, don't get tickets, etc. Seems like it should be going down as we log another year with no issues, and our cars and home get older. Agent always gives some lame a$$ excuse when I ask, and tells me how many discounts I'm getting and other folks went up much more.

Sorry for the rant, please advise if you can. Appreciate it.

Back