Auto Insurance Ratings and Comparisons

I tend to find these rankings to be of dubious value for consumers speaking as an independent agent that writes with some of these insurers.

There are just so many different states and terriforities and ratings changes, that I have to question how accurate this thing is once its published.

Additionally many of these premiums are easily changed by just one simple discount code.
Are you a professor at a University?
Take your Senior driving cours 1.5 years ago?
Have a 2.9 GPA as a 20 year old whilie you are taking a gap year?
A member of NASCAR?

Many of these insurers are just not available in many states. Some are flat out not taking on new clients. Some will only sell you a policy if they have your home with them. USAA as is noted in the article is just for a select few americans.

Just my two cents

You're absolutely right. Hence the word "guide." The trail master may guide you through the woods, but you still have to look where you put your feet.

Anyway, the insurance departments of some states publish annual rate comparisons of the companies licensed in that state. One would have to check with his own insurance department.

My state, Arizona, has published a rate comparison for as far back as I can remember (and that's pretty far).

It's not the be all and end all, but it is often helpful in seeing who is competitive in any given scenario, and can be used as a starting point in one's quest for coverage.

the insurance departments of some states publish annual rate comparisons of the companies licensed in that state.

Yep- my state - CA - does/ did this too. But it is worthlessly old information. Not only would most of the insurers no longer write it at that published price, but they would not even take the home due to wildfire danger anymore.

Well, mine is also a year or two out of date but I still find it useful as the trend from year to year shows mostly the same top ten competitive companies.

Back