auto insurance scheduling

So I have a friend who is getting her first car. Her family doesn't have a car. No insurance. She needs insurance. She isn't quite sure when she's going to get the car. How does she arrange it so that the insurance turns on when she gets the car? No sense in paying for insurance before she actually has the car. Does she file the paperwork with an agent and tell them to turn it on when she gets the car? Is that how it works?

How does she arrange it so that the insurance turns on when she gets the car?
She contacts a local agent and arranges for the insurance to start on the date she purchases the auto. They will need the VIN - which is often the one of the challenges.

No sense in paying for insurance before she actually has the car.
That is not exactly true.

Does she file the paperwork with an agent and tell them to turn it on when she gets the car?
More or less yes.

However with no current insurer in place and with no insurance history - depending on the state or location and or person - you may have trouble procuring a policy for her.

Best of Luck

OK, this friend is 20 years old. Not clear where the "under 18" came from.

Good point about asking for it to be turned on when the car is received, but the fact that the VIN is needed makes it more of a last-minute deal. I have to assume that while the VIN is needed for the paperwork, it's not going to affect the contract or cost. That is, I wold think you cold work out the deal and just pencil in the VIN at the last minute.

Um, not exactly true that there is no point turning on the insurance before getting the car? Whyever would that be?

Now, with no current insurer and no insurance history, I can't imagine why that would hold up a policy. You have to start insurance at some point.

Got it.

. Not clear where the "under 18" came from.
It came from the absence of information and an assumption because few folks submit enough information in their questions to get a useful answer on this forum. Such as What State are you in?

I can't imagine why that would hold up a policy.
Because wtih no prior history, its a risk no matter how you slice it. There are no past rating experience. It will, start calling around and open with that line. "Im looking for an auto insurance policy for someone that has never had auto insurance."
You have to start insurance at some point
Yep and that is why the best place to start is on your parents auto policy. Let them pay the outrageous premiums.

not exactly true that there is no point turning on the insurance before getting the car?
Its not really germane to this discussion, cause its too late, but folks that drive that do not own a car, should still consider auto insurance.

Best of Luck

OK, this friend is 20 years old. Not clear where the "under 18" came from.
The "under 18" comment was a guestimate. You mentioned first car, so I thought she might be younger. (Although I've read that kids are waiting much longer for their cars and DLs these days.)

I wold think you cold work out the deal and just pencil in the VIN at the last minute.
Unfortunately, it doesn't really work like that. While most carriers will let you run a general quote with just year, make and model, you won't be able to bind it. Once you input the VIN, it can decode the engine size, trim level, safety features, etc., and those can effect the price. Plus, most carriers will run a title check, and many won't accept "branded" or "rebuilt".

Back