Auto Mailing/News Letter Ect.

ABC

Guru
1000 Post Club
For the agents out there that are doing monthly letters to current clients and prospects.

With your current clients do you feel its adding value to your services?

For prospects is it helping to obtain new clients?

I think it adds value. When I first meet with somebody I always ask them when is the last time they had contact with the person that sold them the policy, and the answer is always the same, when they bought it. I send out a news letter with different money saving tips including changes in the business. That way they feel well informed, plus if the topic of insurance comes up, they are more likley to remember me and refer a friend to me.

As a newsletter publisher, we've had many agents call and think us for a piece of business they earned as a result of sending a newsletter. But I'd say this is very much not the norm. You cannot expect to send a newsletter and immediately get business from it.

Marketing experts say your clients/prospects need 12 or so touches per year. Well your quarterly newsletters can fill 4 of those slots, but they need to be used in combination with phone follow-up, personal visits, etc.

I think it adds value. When I first meet with somebody I always ask them when is the last time they had contact with the person that sold them the policy, and the answer is always the same, when they bought it. I send out a news letter with different money saving tips including changes in the business. That way they feel well informed, plus if the topic of insurance comes up, they are more likley to remember me and refer a friend to me.

I agree with you 100%. Out of sight out of mind sort of thing, but that's just my opinion.

Marketing experts say your clients/prospects need 12 or so touches per year.

I write my own newsletter every two weeks and email it with Constant Contact. I don't get that much direct biz from it but I get referrals from people who read it. It only takes me about 20 minutes to knock out something on how the current health system sucks (clients can't get enough of that topic) or why UA-type policies are a rip for most people, or how low-return whole-life is a viable product and VULs are evil, or (my favorite) why Suzi O. is an *** along with all the other BTID agents (the local Primers hate me with a passion... as do a couple of Mega/Farm-Ranch gals.)

If you are hard-hitting and topical, and somewhat "in their face" (not unlike Rush Limbaugh) they will mail you back comments about how they actually look forward to the letter. The whole key is to be INTERESTING.

Don't send a story about how HSAs work. No one cares. Write an article about how they are "the answer" to rising costs... and why they are now so popular with "the smart money." (Everyone wants to follow the "smart money."

Don't try to explain how an indexed annuity works, write an article on why they are terrific ... or crap... I've written on both sides!

If you can't write well, or don't like to write...get someone to write it for you. If you can't include humor, pathos, emotion, and a pinch of anger, remorse, and fear in your letter, you are just wasting your time. Write anything you want and be anything you want on paper... except boring.

You guys think I'm an a--hole in this venue! Not even close! You ought to see what I write about some of the products in this industry... as well as some of the people who sell this crap. I'm sure the Mega-clones and Primers have a contract out on me! And I'm not all that popular with a couple of the local health reps either (but I write them a lot of (HSA) premium... which is all they really care about.)

You can learn a lot about writing non-boring stuff by listening to talk radio. Guys like Imus and Limbaugh are master salesmen because they know that people won't listen if they are not emotionally involved. That's YOUR job... write something compelling. 99% of the agents out there will write a newsletter piece on the difference between an HMO and a PPO. I'll write a piece on why an HMO might kill you. When someone is looking for health coverage, which agent are they going to call? Mr. Boring or Mr. A--hole. I know the answer. I learned it from Rush, from Judge Judy, from Paul Harvey, from Jerry Springer, from Al Shaprton, from Don Trump (whom I want to school with), from Lee Iococca, from Martha Stewart, and from a whole host of people who decided NOT to be boring.

Al

Good stuff Al!

Another good idea is to feature a certain client every issue and talk about how you helped them. This applies whether we're talking about personal or commercial accounts. And include a nice photo of you and the client. The personal touches matter.

I write my own newsletter every two weeks and email it with Constant Contact. I don't get that much direct biz from it but I get referrals from people who read it. It only takes me about 20 minutes to knock out something on how the current health system sucks (clients can't get enough of that topic) or why UA-type policies are a rip for most people, or how low-return whole-life is a viable product and VULs are evil, or (my favorite) why Suzi O. is an *** along with all the other BTID agents (the local Primers hate me with a passion... as do a couple of Mega/Farm-Ranch gals.)

If you are hard-hitting and topical, and somewhat "in their face" (not unlike Rush Limbaugh) they will mail you back comments about how they actually look forward to the letter. The whole key is to be INTERESTING.

Don't send a story about how HSAs work. No one cares. Write an article about how they are "the answer" to rising costs... and why they are now so popular with "the smart money." (Everyone wants to follow the "smart money."

Don't try to explain how an indexed annuity works, write an article on why they are terrific ... or crap... I've written on both sides!

If you can't write well, or don't like to write...get someone to write it for you. If you can't include humor, pathos, emotion, and a pinch of anger, remorse, and fear in your letter, you are just wasting your time. Write anything you want and be anything you want on paper... except boring.

You guys think I'm an a--hole in this venue! Not even close! You ought to see what I write about some of the products in this industry... as well as some of the people who sell this crap. I'm sure the Mega-clones and Primers have a contract out on me! And I'm not all that popular with a couple of the local health reps either (but I write them a lot of (HSA) premium... which is all they really care about.)

You can learn a lot about writing non-boring stuff by listening to talk radio. Guys like Imus and Limbaugh are master salesmen because they know that people won't listen if they are not emotionally involved. That's YOUR job... write something compelling. 99% of the agents out there will write a newsletter piece on the difference between an HMO and a PPO. I'll write a piece on why an HMO might kill you. When someone is looking for health coverage, which agent are they going to call? Mr. Boring or Mr. A--hole. I know the answer. I learned it from Rush, from Judge Judy, from Paul Harvey, from Jerry Springer, from Al Shaprton, from Don Trump (whom I want to school with), from Lee Iococca, from Martha Stewart, and from a whole host of people who decided NOT to be boring.

Al

Al
Thank you for posting.
I must admit I found this post to have good information in it.
Thanks

Good stuff Al!

Another good idea is to feature a certain client every issue and talk about how you helped them. This applies whether we're talking about personal or commercial accounts. And include a nice photo of you and the client. The personal touches matter.

=====================
[Why did the sysadmin change the format of quoted material? It was much better in a text-box, IMO]
=====================

Get permission from the client FIRST if you are going to use their name when writing something "personal" that might make it easy for the reader to identify them SPECIFICALLY. Some people will not want their life-history played out in your newsletter.

My newsletter starts with a short "Dear Everyone" letter which introduces the topic and tells something editorial... such as where I think the economy is headed, the mention of some insurance-related news (cost of health ins. or AIG) and sometimes a short paragraph mentioning the business of a client... but more often a prospect. For example:

"One last note before I bore you with this week's electronic fish-wrap... how many of you have a lawyer? How many of you WANT a lawyer? How many of you would rather have root-canal then speak with a laywer? Hey, don't all yell at once. Look folks, if you are not homeless you need a will. If you have a special child you should have a special-need trust. If you are adopting you need legal help. I met and spoke with a woman last week who's name I want to pass along as someone you might consider for family legal matters... Susan Jones. She has an office in XXX and her number is xxxx. She is NOT a client (yet!), but I was really impressed with her,. You make up your own mind... and let me know."

OR...

"Finally, just a note about a terrific eat-in coffee-bakery I found. No they are not clients and I don't know the owners very well... but I do know pastry and theirs is great. I've started to meet with clients at The European Cafe on xxx street in xxxx and for you folks who, like me, need a safe haven to meet your victims (ooops, I mean clients) this might be a place to consider. It sure beats that large chain of coffee places who would see my butt off if I mentioned their name (and how crappy their coffee... and their music is!)"

One week I mentioned a new community bank that I started banking with and they sent me a nice gift-basket for mentioning them as they got a lot of new depositors.

One good thing about being an a--hole (like me) in print... when you say something nice about someone or a business, people will always believe you. So don't abuse it. If you lose the trust of your reader you will NEVER, EVER get it back.

Al

Al
I can see how your letter adds value to you with your clients.
Now is this letter helping you to obtain new business.
For example you stated the local bank sent you a gift basket for recommending them. Do you feel that is door opener for you if you wanted to chase the group health business at the bank? It sounds like the letter should give you a steady stream of referrals.

The homespun newsletter concept is designed as more of a client retention tool ...than referral generation and new business.

a studied indicated 64% of clients who leave you .. leave because of "Perceived Indifference" - meaning they dont think you give 2 cents about them.

I think the stats go something like this:

1% Die
3% Move away
16% Get a Lower price
24% Sold By a competitor
64% Perceived Indifference

Now if you stop 64% of the clients who would usually LEAVE you ... from leaving - what does that do for your retention and your annual income? Substantial.

Hence why retention and personal relationships with clients is critical. Referrals and Cross Sell opportunities arise AFTER youve made them a client and after you've developed a relationship that makes you worthy of their referrals.

This is why you need a multi touch system. I put mine on auto pilot :-) Just finished sending out my Birthday contacts for the month of March ... 10 clients so far this month ... 15 minutes - Baddah Bing Badda Boom

How much client appreciation did you send out this month?

It only takes 5 minutes guys n gals ...

The Ultimate Insurance Marketing System Video

I love my clients!

All the best,

Steve

Back