Agent of Record Letter

Lee is right. Here in IL, there's actually a 10-day "cooling off period" or so before the broker has access to the information, just in case the account changes their minds.

Here's a question for the forum. Well known carrier in Texas will not tell current AOR anything about an AOR change. What rights (if any) does the existing broker have? How do you know for sure an AOR change even exists - all you know if all the sudden you stop getting paid commissions. While true, most carriers would not pull something like this who's to say an employee of their's would not especially if the new broker happens to be a friend or relative. They told me it was a courtesy that they notify the existing broker at all that an AOR change letter has come in - that is absolutely insane, we brought the business in, now we have no rights we just have to take their word that nothing underhanded is going on?

Call your client!!!!!
Who cares what the carrier says, the client is the one who made the decision.

Go ask your ex client why they fired you.

But your first instinct after finding out was to call the company, not the client; that is your first clue as to why they did what they did...

Here's a question for the forum. Well known carrier in Texas will not tell current AOR anything about an AOR change. What rights (if any) does the existing broker have? How do you know for sure an AOR change even exists - all you know if all the sudden you stop getting paid commissions. While true, most carriers would not pull something like this who's to say an employee of their's would not especially if the new broker happens to be a friend or relative. They told me it was a courtesy that they notify the existing broker at all that an AOR change letter has come in - that is absolutely insane, we brought the business in, now we have no rights we just have to take their word that nothing underhanded is going on?

Welcome to the group business and you're right - you have absolutely no rights.

I write very little group business any more, but I know that Aetna continues paying the writing agent (on individual major med) even after the AOR is changed. Do they do likewise on group?

If a client has decided to fire you, justified or not, it is probably too late to salvage the relationship.

By calling the client you may learn from the experience and know what to change.

My experience is this.

Many times the ex client won't tell you the real reason, or, the new agent lied by promising the moon.

I lose very few clients to other agents during the year, but when it does happen it is usually for the wrong reasons.

I don't know Texas but that sounds about right.

My Sales reps will call me and let me know when a AOR changes. Since I have relationships with my clients they will fire me face to face. Or at the least call me.

If you do not build relationships with your group clients get use to the AOR's.

I feel your pain! I lost one this year that was very hurtful. New HR came in to place and did not like the fact that the owner would return my phone calls. Owner flat out said I will have to fire HR to keep you on board and he did not want to do that.

Politics!

Back