B2B Marketing: Share your idea for various industries

NHB -

Which do you think will generate more conversation?

If you were seriously injured in an accident, or contracted a deadly disease, how would you pay for your care?

or

If you were to die tonight, how would your family survive financially?

Both are money questions. Only one requires the person in your conversation to address the question from a personal standpoint.

Health insurance is self centered. When you get sick, you (and/or your family) have to decide what level of care you will get based on available funds.

Life insurance is all about them, not you. Once you leave this earth the financial problems left behind are their problem, not yours.

You can leave behind $100,000 for your family. When that is gone, they have to make choices.

Or you can buy a health insurance policy with a $100,000 cap. (Yes, there are some out there like that). Once that is gone so is your treatment unless you want to start liquidating assets. Your doctor doesn't care what you have to sell to pay his bill, he won't treat you until you have cash.

The banker really doesn't care where your family lives. If they can't pay he forecloses.

Both are monetary. One hits closer to home for most people.

Think about it.

Yes, I realize that the healthcare hits closer to home from a financial standpoint. There is also far less of it to choose from. I'm sure there are well over 1000 companies out there writing life insurance, but the reality is most people only have a handful of companies writing health in their area, given state approval, PPO network, etc. I'm sure when I talk to somebody about talking life insurance they're thinking "yeah, you and 500 other guys", but they may be more open to health.

The bottom line is I'm going to have to sell them on working with me for various financial matters, which I'll soon be able to do with the Series 6 & 63. Right now, I have to refer those prospects to another agent and count he'll scratch my back later. Just in the few conversations I've had, I see that people are far more receptive to talking about funds and variable items than they are life insurance.

Now, this thread disappeared for a few days, but has come back. It seems my thread about "Sales Genie" has now disappeared.

I have to assume it's server problems.

john_petrowski said:
Life agents got a very bad rep back in the 50's and 60's when they went cold-call door to door. The reputation of becoming pushy and unethical was established.

Any idea how the marketing was typically done? Did people try and sell something on the spot or just set an appointment?

I know a guy that used to sell small AD&D policies door-to-door and he showed me some awards he got with that company. He said he sold something every single day and made good money...but he didn't stay with it real long either.

NHB_MMA said:
john_petrowski said:
Life agents got a very bad rep back in the 50's and 60's when they went cold-call door to door. The reputation of becoming pushy and unethical was established.

Any idea how the marketing was typically done? Did people try and sell something on the spot or just set an appointment?

One shot, one kill. If they didn't buy the first time, they weren't going to buy later. It's still the same way with most of the big captive agencies.

Michael Haislip said:
One shot, one kill. If they didn't buy the first time, they weren't going to buy later. It's still the same way with most of the big captive agencies.

Well, anyone can see how you would get a bad reputation for being pushy. I do think anyone that had a thick enough skin and kept at it would probably make some nice bank, but it's not my style. I have never known anyone to market by such methods, other than my one friend, and I can't think it's very common. I do remember someone from the old forum talking about it and about getting some guy in a trailer court chasing him with a pellet gun. As for the captive agencies, NYL laughed when I talked about trying to market R2R, so it's not part of what they advocate.

I see that people are far more receptive to talking about funds and variable items than they are life insurance.

Of course they are.

And they are more receptive to talking about health insurance than they are savings & investment.

Here are some numbers to chew on.

83% of Americans have health insurance

Approximately 30% own life insurance outside of the workplace.

Less than 15% have more than $50,000 net worth exclusive of their home equity.

I am not trying to change your mind, just showing you something to consider. For every 10 people you cold call (regardless of the method) you will find

8 have health insurance and all think they are paying too much

7 do not own life insurance and don't think they need it.

few than 2 of the 10 have enough money to invest and make it worth your effort in talking to them.

somarco said:
I am not trying to change your mind, just showing you something to consider. For every 10 people you cold call (regardless of the method) you will find

few than 2 of the 10 have enough money to invest and make it worth your effort in talking to them.

Going indy with health is a "plan B".

somarco said:
I see that people are far more receptive to talking about funds and variable items than they are life insurance.

Of course they are.

And they are more receptive to talking about health insurance than they are savings & investment.

Here are some numbers to chew on.

83% of Americans have health insurance

Approximately 30% own life insurance outside of the workplace.

Less than 15% have more than $50,000 net worth exclusive of their home equity.

Okay so since you are basically using general population breakdowns, how does your numbers match up if I go after a certain demographic?

Say this, if I service lets say small businesses that have been in business for over two years with good credit. Does your scenario still stay the same? Will only 3 out of 10 have life insurance? Will only 1.5 out of 10 be worth less the 50 grand total outside of home?

B 2 B Resources

I posted this in the health side, but thought that I'd repost it for some of you younger.....(in health insurance years) guys.

Find a Combined insurance rep...or district manager.

Trade refferrals with this guy....these guys are out there every day meeting with people and businesses...they almost always have someone ask them if the offer health insurance...which they don't.

They can then simply say that they work with an independant agent who specilizes in that and give your card to them.

I've started a realationship like that about a year or so ago, well this Combined guy is now the Sales Director for the region....yesterday I got 5 calls from people out of the blue from him and his agents spreading my name.....

He is expanding to MN, so now I'm looking to get an out of state license so I can continue to utilize this realationship.

Make sure that you team up with someone you can trust.

Back