Bad Auto Accident

Gooner

Guru
5000 Post Club
Atlanta, GA
So my wife's grandparents were in a bad accident yesterday, lucky to be alive type accident. She broke her pelvis, femur, ribs, eye socket etc... he broken neck and punctured esophagus (he also had quadruple bipass surgery 6 weeks ago and is 88). Prognosis is good, but it's a long recovery...3-6 months and they will need round the clock care for the first month...atleast.

Question is what exactly will the auto coverage cover for home health etc..if any. I don't push insurance on family, so i don't know what coverage they have yet, my wife is bringing it home tonight. It's been a while since I flexed my P&C muscles. What do I need to look for and how should I proceed, since I have to be their advocate here.

Thanks,

Donnie

Well, the first question is who is at fault? If they are, the only thing that will help is medpay, but assuming they are on medicare, its a safe bet that this will go to medicare and not be available for other things.

If a different driver is at fault, then you need to look at their liability limits.

Next step is to look at whatever health plans they have and potentially, long term care. This is where the bulk of the coverage will come from, other than liability coverage from another driver.

Dan

Well, the first question is who is at fault? If they are, the only thing that will help is medpay, but assuming they are on medicare, its a safe bet that this will go to medicare and not be available for other things.

If a different driver is at fault, then you need to look at their liability limits.

Next step is to look at whatever health plans they have and potentially, long term care. This is where the bulk of the coverage will come from, other than liability coverage from another driver.

Dan

They were at fault. .

Med pay is all they have then. Was there another party involved in the crash? How is that other party doing? If they are in as bad of shape, brace yourself and pray they have an umbrella policy.

Med pay is all they have then. Was there another party involved in the crash? How is that other party doing? If they are in as bad of shape, brace yourself and pray they have an umbrella policy.

Only other person hurt was a teenage girl who had a couple of cuts on her leg...they basically got pinballed between 4 other cars...I'm hoping they have high limits.

So their med supp won't cover anything? First time ever dealing with this...it is surreal

So their med supp won't cover anything? First time ever dealing with this...it is surreal

They are indeed covered by Medicare and their sup but Medicare does have limits both on skilled care (100 days) and physical therapy (not enough to help). Medicare will want to be reimbursed up to the limits of their med pay on the auto insurance.

As far as liability coverage, it is what it is. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It's more important that they recover.

Rick

They are indeed covered by Medicare and their sup but Medicare does have limits both on skilled care (100 days) and physical therapy (not enough to help). Medicare will want to be reimbursed up to the limits of their med pay on the auto insurance.

As far as liability coverage, it is what it is. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It's more important that they recover.

Rick

Thanks. I just need something positive to tell my wife tonight, she's been at the hospital since 3pm yesterday. As tge insurance guy in the family, it falls on me to figure this **** out

So my wife's grandparents were in a bad accident yesterday, lucky to be alive type accident. She broke her pelvis, femur, ribs, eye socket etc... he broken neck and punctured esophagus (he also had quadruple bipass surgery 6 weeks ago and is 88). Prognosis is good, but it's a long recovery...3-6 months and they will need round the clock care for the first month...atleast. Question is what exactly will the auto coverage cover for home health etc..if any. I don't push insurance on family, so i don't know what coverage they have yet, my wife is bringing it home tonight. It's been a while since I flexed my P&C muscles. What do I need to look for and how should I proceed, since I have to be their advocate here. Thanks, Donnie

If they are in a state that has PIP (personal injury protection) that would help pay with medical bills.

Other wise med pay would be the only option in an at fault.

Back