Bad Day - Should I have confirmed?

Even though I work out of my house, I have an FMO who lets me use their conference room. I schedule time in that conference room. If they don't show up, then I continue to make calls from that room, and there is no time lost.

In the city the size of Atlanta metro, there is no valid reason, other than a referral, why anybody that far away would need to work with me. There are too many other agents out there, in a closer proximity.

#1 is right, they are never committed to sign anything.

Sales is hard. Sales, in it's purest state, is convincing people to buy when they otherwise wouldn't buy. It's been my experience after 14 years in the industry that to succeed in getting people to buy something they either normally wouldn't or sooner than they want you have to be as ass****.

The way around that is to generate enough business where you are dealing with people who are simply looking for what you're offering. Now you're not running around on no-shows, getting "I need to think about it" or leaving that 3rd message for that lead who hopes to hell you'll stop calling.

Even though I work out of my house, I have an FMO who lets me use their conference room. I schedule time in that conference room. If they don't show up, then I continue to make calls from that room, and there is no time lost.

In the city the size of Atlanta metro, there is no valid reason, other than a referral, why anybody that far away would need to work with me. There are too many other agents out there, in a closer proximity.

#1 is right, they are never committed to sign anything.

Fantatic post. Starting next year I'll be renting an office in a retail location and my clients will come sit down with me. If you don't think it works, call a State Farm agent.

I wish agents could collect a $25 consulting fee if they have to run appts. It could be applied towards commis if client buys. Our time and knowledge is worth something too....just like the lawyers. Same thing, just different products.

I e-mail them a PDF of the app, and have them bring it, filled out.

In the case of Medicare, it's a different situation. Since I don't work off leads or telemarketing leads, all mine are referrals, so I check with the Financial Planner that referred them, and have him/her place a call, in addition to mine, confirming our appointment.

If it's a no-show, I call the Financial Planner, and don't waste my time with the referral. They are his client, let him deal with them.

A lot of it is establishing that you're in control - not them, that you're busy and your time is valuable. No - you don't actually say that to prospects but you can convey it.

I can't say that sales is trying to convience someone to buy something they don't need or want. You are not going to "SELL" someone something they do not believe they need. I have learned that you create the need and if they agree there is a need, then proceed with the presentation and share with them how to handle that need. Help them purchase something they decide they need. If it comes to an objection after they say there is a need and can't make a decission, I use this sometimes: Bill, I know this has been on your mind and you think about it when you go to bed, right...How about taking this one problem out of the worry chest and sleep better knowing you did the right thing...From there, it is either close or walk.

That is one of the nice things about dealing with the group market, especially groups 10 employees and above. In almost every case, hen they say they will be there, they are there. If they want to cancel, they will call you to do so, you don't need to remind them.

A lot of it is establishing that you're in control - not them, that you're busy and your time is valuable. No - you don't actually say that to prospects but you can convey it.

In what ways? I think there is a fine line between being arrogant and given the impression that time is valuable and you don't need business.

I just mailed the guy the following handwritten letter:

John:

You agreed to meet with me this morning but you did not remember. Your wife isn't interested in saving $750 per year with the exact, same coverage.

However, I made a futile 200 mile roundtrip because you told me to come to your house.

You certainly cannot make up for the 4 hours I wasted, but you sure can pay me the $30 I spent on gas.

I would appreciate it ASAP.

Rick

Let's see what the jerk does.

Back