Becoming An Agent Is A Pain In The A##

some need more of a reason some less. if you do something unethical as an agent for money. it is the same as robbing a quick mart because times are bad. i see their reasoning but disagree with their hiring practice. if the person is ethical being broke would only make him work harder. if not he is gonna steal sooner or later anyway IMO,we have a temp licnese in al lets you work 180 days to see if you are cut out for it or not. hope it works out well for you.

No offense to John, but that brush was a bit too broad. Some folks need to hear more of the story before they go around half cocked with limited info.

Your missing the point...This is the reason why an agent with bad credit may find it hard to get appointed with a carrier.

.......What happened was I was a Project Manager and was looking to move into the field of insurance. I replied to a add of Colonial Life and had two interviews. I was hired and told to go to examfx.com and study and prepare for my test. I quit my job and began the journey...........;)

No offense but that wasn't a good move. Almost anyone can get "hired" to sell insurance but if you have to have income you should not have quit your job until the last possible moment.

I have went to examfx passed my test with a 86% then took the Indiana state exam and failed it. Took it again and passed. So now I have my Life & Health License. Now I have applied to become appointed with Colonial Life and United Health One. Problem is I have credit issues and am worried that I will not get appointed. I have came this far and don't want it to all be a waste.

Anyone have any suggestions for me about what to do if am denied?

With problematic credit one tends to get all sorts of phone calls and emails from companies touting "credit repair." If this ever becomes a consideration do your due diligence homework and try to go with a local company with no issues with the BBB.

He didn't say that all do.. He said they are more prone to do so. A person who facing a sever credit crunch will face a stronger temptation to do something they would not even consider doing if everything was going smoothly.

I read pretty well, I never said anyone used the term ALL
My point was using the term is prone vs might, could or can be prone to an action is more accurate.

One term is too definitive and calls for a conclusion, not possible to reach in his example, therefore a leap....much like the tack you took when accusing me of using the term all, when you didn't see that in my post.

No biggie, many people in our country are prone to emotional responses devoid of fact.
:1eek:

Not to be rude, but are you familiar with what the word "prone" means? Crabcake Johnny nailed it.

Agents with bad credit are more prone to do unethical things.

That's the same reason why folks with bad credit will have a hard time getting a security clearance.

Not to be rude, but are you familiar with what the word "prone" means? Crabcake Johnny nailed it.

Agents with bad credit are more prone to do unethical things.

That's the same reason why folks with bad credit will have a hard time getting a security clearance.

I'm convinced you don't mean to be rude, however my, be it, limited contact with the word "prone", I think I can handle it's meaning.

It's seems as if the only person who read and took real comprehension of my point was Crabcake J, himself because he hasn't complained about my merely stating a different opinion. of course that has a lot to do with him being a class act.

This will be my 2nd and last free education on word syntax, not to be rude of course. The sentence that I took I light-hearted issue with John P. (of whom I've spoken to on more than one occasion and understood that HE could handle a little poke from a Maryland grad) had to with the position that a person 3 months behind on a mortgage (especially in today's economy) IS more prone to DO unethical things.

Now I know, the Maryland guy understood my point but for those not be familiar with the term is or do, they are definitive terms meaning absolute, without question. (thinking about and taking action are indeed different)

In addition, as I was pointing out, what constitutes BAD CREDIT is fluid in today's landscape 3 mortgage lates alone may or may not constitute the same credit risk profile has in the past.

When evaluating credit profiles the current market is taken into consideration, when rating, much like a teacher grading on a curve, I was speaking only to the example given.
It normally takes more than one item to push a candidate into an unacceptable risk pool, especially enough for an ethical person to absolutely do unethical things (and may vary depending upon who's evaluating)

One condition CAN be evidence of a disease, my point was it is not the a full diagnosis till other conditions are met. And I think my pal, Johnny understood, I making the point for agents, who may not understand that the one condition he stated, alone might not absolutely get them labeled in the unacceptable risk pool, in today's world.

* Everybody is allowed their opinion, but when spoken uncontested to other people, maybe younger or less traveled, those opinions (based upon limited experience) become uncontested fact.

I've got no issue with another man voicing his own opinion but he can't bring his own facts to, not to be rude.

John got my analogy regarding having a HOT, young assistant with unusually large breast may make some agent's wives feel their husbands may be more "prone" to "unethical activities" the operative word being may.

;)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Your missing the point...This is the reason why an agent with bad credit may find it hard to get appointed with a carrier.

Your off point, if you reduced my post to simply the passage you quoted. I know what credit challenges candidates face, did you read my post? That wasn't the issue, I was making.

If you had a question regarding understanding my point that's fine but don't proclaim I've missed the point if you don't know what the point is.

If you don't have the time to read and understand the entire post, no problem....you don't have to but I would ask that in the future before you proclaim me clueless, you know for sure that you haven't missed the point.

If you missed the satire regarding the term "unethical activities", not much I can do for you. Sorry it went over your head.

Merry X-mas to you, sir

Last edited:
First, no, I didn't mean to be rude and props for not jumping to that conclusion.

Back to our English lesson: There is no question you have spent a significant amount of time evaluating the syntax and attempted quite dilligently to clear things up, but I guess I'm a little uneducated here. Typically when I'm confused about the definition of a word I consult a dictionary, for example:

prone |prōn|
adjective
1 [ predic. ] ( prone to/prone to do something) likely to or liable to suffer from, do, or experience something, typically something regrettable or unwelcome : years of logging had left the mountains prone to mudslides | he is prone to jump to conclusions.

So just to see where us uneducated folks come from:

Agents are more *prone to* do unethical things if they are financially distressed as evidenced by poor credit.

Now let's take that exact same sentence and substitute it with the definition of "likely to" provided by the dictionary.

Agents are more *likely to* do unethical things if they are financially distressed as evidenced by poor credit.

It seems to me that the increased likelihood, however small, is a perfectly legitimate point and that John made a correct statement when he said:

The issue goes beyond commission advances. An agent, for example, who is 90 days past due on their mortgage is more prone to engage in unethical activities.

Again, substituting the definition provide by the dictionary and that being the only change, let's evaluate the exact statement John made:

The issue goes beyond commission advances. An agent, for example, who is 90 days past due on their mortgage is *more likely* to engage in unethical activities.

Are you willing to concede your mistake or do you still maintain your opinion that John made a misstatement?

Last edited:
Wow this topic became larger than I thought:err: but anyways I have been appointed and am making a living. Working on my third policy now.

Thanks for comments I am going back to making money now Peace:laugh:

Back