Becoming an Independent Insurance Agent

natem2112,
Thanks for the PDFs. Very cool. :cool:

Quick question. Do you find that individual and group health underwriters are open to these non-carrier specific questionnaires? I.e. if one submits those to Celtic or Anthem Blue Cross for instance (or any other carrier with their own questionnaires), will the underwriters be open to them when those carriers have their own condition specific questionnaires?

Feedback appreciated.

Here's a question for all of you vets. What companies offer questionnaires for specific conditions?

Yes, we have the underwriting guidelines that are pretty easy to navigate, but I like to get specific. Without the help of a few people on this board (thanks guys), it would be more difficult to know what specific questions to ask. You would think that insurance companies would recognize this and make things available.

For almost any conditon:

1) When was it diagnosed
2) What treatment did it require
3) If on meds, how long on the meds, what dosage and frequency
4) What's the current status of your condition (ie; full recovery, stable with medication, need further testing...)

For any mental/nervous disorder add:

1) Was there any time lost from work
2) Was there any counsiling
3) If depression, is it situational or clinical

Arizona Auto Insurance

It might be hard starting out brand new in insurance as an independent agent if you want to go on your own. I would highly recommend you work for another company, captive or independent.
Most captive companies have some sort of marketing processes in place. If you are independent you need to use the ideas submitted in other posts. As an independent you can also market to captive agents as they are unable to service the wide variety of needs like an independent agent can.

Arizona Auto Insurance
Insurance Phoenix

John and others:
Do you recommend establishing a Limited Liability Company instead of a sole proprietor, especially since I'm new and prone to more mistakes?

John and others:
Do you recommend establishing a Limited Liability Company instead of a sole proprietor, especially since I'm new and prone to more mistakes?

How is establishing a LLC going to help you from not making any mistakes, and what are those mistakes you are concerned about? I would consult w/ an attorney and an accountant if you do not want to research the various types of entities. There are a lot of loop holes that some people may or may not know about. The key is to go as close to breaking the law w/out crossing the line to maximize your bottom dollar. LLC's are the most common and most easy to understand after Sole P, but there are a host of other types that require professional advice after you have established your goals and assets/liabilities.

Back