Beginner Question About Commissions..

MtnViewInsurance

Hello all,
I am a new agent in TN and am currently appointed with Blue Cross, Humana, and UHC. Here is the rundown of my current question. I have helped two people, both of which are current Blue Cross policyholders in TN, reevaluate their insurance needs. Both of these people chose different Blue Cross policies for 2016 than they had in 2015. I submitted their 2016 applications via Health Sherpa. Will i receive commissions on these sales? The reason I ask is because they were already Blue Cross customers... Something I read really confused me on this. I was under the impression that I would receive commission. Thanks in advance on any guidance here.

Hello all,
I am a new agent in TN and am currently appointed with Blue Cross, Humana, and UHC. Here is the rundown of my current question. I have helped two people, both of which are current Blue Cross policyholders in TN, reevaluate their insurance needs. Both of these people chose different Blue Cross policies for 2016 than they had in 2015. I submitted their 2016 applications via Health Sherpa. Will i receive commissions on these sales? The reason I ask is because they were already Blue Cross customers... Something I read really confused me on this. I was under the impression that I would receive commission. Thanks in advance on any guidance here.

Very likely you will not. With some companies (Humana being one) if they change network types (HMO to PPO for example) the new agent will get the commission. If they go to a different plan with the same network type (PPO to PPO) the original agent still gets to keep getting paid and the new agent gets zip.

I'm not sure how Blue Cross does theirs and with them it's probably different in every state.

BUT you did not lose. You are getting a valuable education. You don't make those mistakes twice once you learn it the hard way the first time.

Back