Best Life and Health Pre-License Program in California for Under $100?

So I've been searching a lot online, went through the whole directory on the insurance site of CA. Found that the costs vary pretty widely, from about $75 to $300 for the 52hr course! So I've narrowed it down to four under $100 and would like your feedback on each, as well as any additional tips on passing the exam :)

ExamFX - With my firm's (Voya) referral, it's $99.95

PreLicenseTraining.com - $79.99

FirstChoicePreLicensing.com - $74.99

Prelicense.com - $89.95

I'm actually applying to be a Financial Advisor with Voya but they require me to get this license first. I know I get a stipend for the first three months and then straight commissions, what sorts of questions should I ask them about the position? I really don't know where to start.

Thanks a lot! This site has been pretty helpful so far. This is my first post :)

----------

Bump. Assuming these change every year so a recent experience would be best

**Update - I ended up going with FirstChoicePreLicensing, called them up and they gave me a 10%off code which was nice. I wasn't a fan of the course, not very interactive and pretty boring. Once I took my state exam, I felt like I only knew about 40% of the questions! I passed with a 73% though and like my boss says, you wont sell any more/less insurance based on your exam score :)
A colleague of mine let me borrow all the chapters from ExamFX, the layout was nicer than FCPL but basically the same information.

Last edited:
So I've been searching a lot online, went through the whole directory on the insurance site of CA. Found that the costs vary pretty widely, from about $75 to $300 for the 52hr course! So I've narrowed it down to four under $100 and would like your feedback on each, as well as any additional tips on passing the exam :)

ExamFX - With my firm's (Voya) referral, it's $99.95

PreLicenseTraining.com - $79.99

FirstChoicePreLicensing.com - $74.99

Prelicense.com - $89.95

I'm actually applying to be a Financial Advisor with Voya but they require me to get this license first. I know I get a stipend for the first three months and then straight commissions, what sorts of questions should I ask them about the position? I really don't know where to start.

Thanks a lot! This site has been pretty helpful so far. This is my first post :)

----------

Bump. Assuming these change every year so a recent experience would be best

The insurance exam is cake compared to your securities exam. I would just go with whoever Voya recommends

When Voya was ING Financial Advisors, they had some great reps.

Aside from commission expectations, you should ask about technology, expenses, and any product or carrier restrictions. Hopefully you have a solid OSJ that will go to bat for you in a tough spot.

Last time I checked, Voya reps were fairly independent.

Good luck.

Hi Ray, thanks for that. Anything else I should look into? While the advisors I'm working under seem to know what their doing and are easy to talk to, they don't seem to have a solid training regiment in place so that scares me a bit. I can ask the hard questions and they are seemingly honest with me, I just don't exactly know what questions to ask so I'll start with what you gave me.
My biggest fear is running out of leads and clients. They seem to take the approach of having me call all my contacts, have a general first appointment, and then ask if the client knows of anyone else who would benefit from what we went over. Of the 4 appointments so far, none having given any leads yet but we are having second interviews with 3 of them.
Should I be worried?
Thanks!

Hi Ray, thanks for that. Anything else I should look into? While the advisors I'm working under seem to know what their doing and are easy to talk to, they don't seem to have a solid training regiment in place so that scares me a bit. I can ask the hard questions and they are seemingly honest with me, I just don't exactly know what questions to ask so I'll start with what you gave me.
My biggest fear is running out of leads and clients. They seem to take the approach of having me call all my contacts, have a general first appointment, and then ask if the client knows of anyone else who would benefit from what we went over. Of the 4 appointments so far, none having given any leads yet but we are having second interviews with 3 of them.
Should I be worried?
Thanks!

You're staring off independent so they isn't going to be a ton of guidance.

Assuming that you don't have a war chest or the level of experience necessary to run a bunch of seminars, you should network, network, network. Then go for referrals, referrals, referrals. Repeat.

I don't know of many advisers who buy leads for financial planning clients. They may exist, but I would guess that they'd be several hundred dollars each.

Not to sound negative, but it is difficult to build a scratch planning practice. Not impossible, but very challenging.

Latest posts

Back