Best place to 1. Be independent to write for any carriers 2. Keep your book of business?

Yes, by starting your own agency.

Or becoming really good friends with an old school agency owner that will let you ride their coattails.

New agent?
Where?
What is your definition of All Carriers?
What is your definition of Keep your book?

I am not asking to be funny? ALL P&C carriers! There are about 1,000 in America.

Keep your book, you mean after you leave the group or agency. Everyone will have some sort of separation agreement. Horizon says you can come and go as you please. Some will say you accrue ownership over time. Some say there is a buyout. Some say you can leave but for two years you cannot do business with the carriers they got you access to. Some say....Some say.... But in short to be economically sound they got to keep you around longer than it takes to get you access and ghost them.

Also, in short most carriers are not appointing or dying to grow. Rough time to get into P&C.

Where can a newer P&C agent stay independent with all carriers and keep their book from the start? Does this option even exist?

This is a bad time to be getting into p&c, especially in Ca, Ny, or Fl. Even outside of those states, it's bad right now.

You may want to wait.

These can be a complicated questions, but if I were in your position right now, I’d look of a solid aggregator/cluster/master agency who will have access to any of the major carriers you’ll need. If you’re a commercial p&c guy (what I’d personally recommend for many reasons, namely less commoditized/transactional than personal lines and more valuable book of business when you’re ready to sell), you don’t need 100 carriers. If you pick a great niche and go deep building your book, you’ll be fine with 6-8 max.

Plus, going the aggregator route, you’ll have better chance at getting direct appointments later on once you prove yourself and build a nice book with the right carrier partners. You’ll also own your book. But, one word of caution, read their contracts first before you commit to anything. Make sure there is no fine print baked in there regarding partial ownership of the book or big fees for leaving the group or non-solicit clause, etc.

Not sure why there’s so much “fear” from other comments about getting into p&c, especially commercial. Every industry has challenges but if you have the heart, hustle and a big dream, you can make it happen. It’s actually THE BEST time to get in this industry. 7-8% projected growth ans $400 billion by 2028. Don’t let anyone scare you, you can do this.

if you need any help or I can add any value, let me know.

Back