Best Way to Go Independent?

I believe this has always been Rick Flair's hold up. That one contract point he can't get over. To that I would say, if we got to the right place together, "What contract language do you propose... and try to get it in as an addendum to the contract."

However there is a reason why the language is in there. If you are a random guy/gal and you want to do insurance. And you want to join a $200,000,000 agency with 400 agencies that already belong to that group AND many more families rely on the employment at those agencies, the Contract MUST, I repeat, MUST protect those that are already in the group and relying on the group, to protect the interests of the group. NOT the Owner of the Group! But the Folks that make up the group.

Mathew King said it correctly. If you don't like the language, don't sign a carrier contract either. Propose language you would be more comfortable with and ask to have it tweaked. EASY!

TehGuy,

What you are proposing, might be a SmartChoice play. Most groups will not want a part time agent. moonlighting as an agent. The Learning curve is steep. the Runway needs to be there. The way a group will get you access will differ based on your endeavors, office space, etc. I can appreciate your desire to dip your toe, but being new, dipping a toe, and committing little time.....

Please/ Please/ Please- ask yourself, what caliper group (Good, Better, Best) Will take an agent with those variables on that business plan. The "Best in Class" groups with the Best deliverables, and contracts, might not be willing to attract an agent like that and therefore limit the contracts (Good or Bad) that you can choose from.

I have said it and I will say it again. Read the contract. Not all contracts are the same.

That said, there isn't a carrier contract on the planet that doesn't allow for termination without cause. But ultimately, why would someone terminate a profitable agent/agency, either from a carrier or cluster/aggregator? If you are sending in good business and making them money, there is no reason to get rid of you, unless they simply are moving away from the type of business you are writing.

Every cluster/aggregator is going to retain a method to rid itself of problematic agencies. Why in the world would they risk their bonuses and relationships with carriers for one bad apple? The only difference is the mechanism they retain, and some are more agent friendly than others. And even if they don't, if the head of the aggregator calls up the carrier and asks to have your appointment terminated, what do you think is going to happen? You're gone, because you were a problem for the carrier anyway.

Back