Big Career Decision Need Help! Insurance Guru Powers, Activate!!

iniego

So I've come to the fork in the road. Both NYL and Pru have worked hard to recruit me.

New York Life - NYL Managing Partner has really taken the time to outreach and meet with me over the last 60 days. They are a huge office here in NM (63 agents). All of the agents at their training events and meetings are motivated and happy. The Managing Partner has recently renovated the office and established training programs for new and veterans. From an organizational perspective, they are solid. I'm concerned that only being able to offer life insurance will be limiting.

My markets are very good as I'm a very active member of the community, an MBA, military veteran and a family that has lived in New Mexico for over 400 years, (my project 200 is more like a project 400).

Prudential- Is growing its offices in NM they have less than 10 agents state wide, and have tons of orphans. A senior agent who is a friend, has offered me to work his book and work with me as I grow the business. The Regional VP is highly successful at Pru and has a good track record with recruits (56% career retention rate) He has flown to Albuquerque several times over the last 30 days to meet with me and take personal control of my recruitment. I'd get to own my own book, Sell Pru Life, Health, financial services, and Liberty Mutual Property and Casualty. I can even sell non Pru products. It seems like a complete package and an opportunity to be in the ground floor of the expansion. The opportunity to get life and health, Series 6/63 before I start are pretty awesome.

So I need a lil advice, what the heck should I do? NYL seems like a factory, but I'm receiving alot more love from the boss than other recruits. Pru seems to offer more diverse products and Financial Planning Certs up front.. Ugh!

:goofy:

Unless things at NYL has changed they also have a B/D NYLIC securities allowing you to offer securities as well as its own brokerage arrangement allowing you to sell more than just NYL products.

Question if Pru only has 10 agents why is there such a large book of orphans? Someone had to put those policies on the books and why are those people no longer around.

Unless things at NYL has changed they also have a B/D NYLIC securities allowing you to offer securities as well as its own brokerage arrangement allowing you to sell more than just NYL products.

Question if Pru only has 10 agents why is there such a large book of orphans? Someone had to put those policies on the books and why are those people no longer around.

It is my understanding that they underwent a company wide reduction in force a few years back. This coupled with previous poor management drove agents away. I'm told that they are undergoing an expansion company-wide. At least, that's how they handled the question.

I would say- what do you want to do? It sounds like you feel like you would be limited in what you can do at NYL. Do you want to do all of those other things? I understand wanting to offer everything to your clients, BUT then you will be a Jack of all trades, master of none.
My advice- start at NYL. Get all of the training you can get. Become the life insurance guru. Once you have that down, then start learning all of the other products. At that point, you can decide to stick with NYL or explore other options.

Start with NYL since you can always move to Prudential down the road if this doesn't work out!

Back