Blue Cross in PA question

Loudee, I see you are located in Philadelphia so I would assume you would want to write BC in the 5-County Philadelphia area. Independence Blue Cross is the exclusive carrier in the aforementioned area. They opened up ti independent broker/agents back in 1990 and one could contract directly with them. About 10 years ago they made changes to that program. They set up 3 levels for brokers assigning them to the levels based on production. What this did was to cause most agents to sign up under a MGA. As far as Blue Shield, that is statewide and was merged into Highmark, thus, Highmark Blue Shield. There are 4 Blue Cross affiliated associations in PA, each has its own exclusive territory. With IBC (Independence BC) it is possible to write sole proprieors as a one-person group through an approved association. The 3 other BC's are Highmark (formerly BC of Western PA covering 26 counties), Capital BC mentioned by Chumps (covering central PA), and BC of Northeastern PA (it's obvious what their territory is). All use Highmark BS for the BS coverage. If you would like the details just PM me and I will get back to you tomorrow or Monday.

Arnguy,

I'm interested in becoming appointed to write B/C in the Philly area. I don't have enough posts to PM. Would you please PM your email address to me? I have a couple of questions and would be interested to know if you can recommend a GA.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back