Brand spanking new agent !! Need help !!

Manuel Adame

I just received my P&C license and im ecstatic but also lost !! I hear people say go to state farm and some other people say go independent and join a group/cluster. I spoke to someone at PGI and what he said seemed decent with the exception of the 400 dollar monthly fee. I also have someone that wants me to go work for her as a producer so i can learn but i feel that if i work for a year or so and bring in clients wouldnt it be the same as with a group with the exception i would make more money because of residual and percentages ? Theres training there as well right? Please help, appreciate any advice, thanks and god bless !! Btw ive sold real estate, done car sales and was a finance manager for my sales. Im asduming thats the hard part. Anyways thanks again.

Welcome.
If you are concerned about a $400 monthly fee, I would not set up your own shop. There will be loads more monthly fees than that.

go to state farm
Yes. go learn on their dime and diligently take notes for a year and a half. Develop contacts, take some courses, develop of a business plan, understand marketing.

Btw ive sold real estate, done car sales and was a finance manager for my sales. Im asduming thats the hard part. Anyways thanks again.
That is terriric, but P&C is more of an ongoing customer service sale. The make the begining sale but have to servie the account in perpetuity.

Welcome.
If you are concerned about a $400 monthly fee, I would not set up your own shop. There will be loads more monthly fees than that.

Yes. go learn on their dime and diligently take notes for a year and a half. Develop contacts, take some courses, develop of a business plan, understand marketing.

That is terriric, but P&C is more of an ongoing customer service sale. The make the begining sale but have to servie the account in perpetuity.
Got it thank u for the advice. I do have someone else that has their own independent company. Do you think that would be a better place to learn since that would be my goal ? Or would state farm/allstate and those companies be a better fit. Im unclear as to what would be better on the long run as a business model to copy

I do not know the answer to your question. Especially without knowing your longtime business plan. And, even if you had a business plan at this stage, it might not be very valuable since you are new to the industry.

But... I can tell you that in my experience most independent mom and pop shops are not going to hire a new P&C person, there is just too miuch to learn.

State Farm. Farmers, etc are are all dying to fill job slots and are much more willing to take on new folks to the industry.

Weigh the pro's & con's of each option you are considering.

State Farm should have very good training and you can also learn from the SF insurance agent. SF agents seem to do pretty well. However, you will learn one-way, the "captive" way and the business you bring into the SF agency will stay there. I would presume that you will sign a contract that will include keeping you from approaching those customers for at least 12 months.

I don't know your financial situation so if starting your independent agency is the route to take even if you need to pay several hundreds of dollars to get access, then do it but if you don't have any income coming in and your spouse's income is to pay for current bills then you may want to also consider the independent agent who wants to hire you as a producer. At this point, you really don't know what it's like to be a producer, let alone having your own agency. You may find out over time that this isn't the route you want to take in life, in terms of starting your own agency. However, as you gain more experience in this and see that you can also do it on your own, then you will know what it takes to be your own agent at the "cost" of being a producer for either SF or independent.

I wish you well.

Your best bet is to learn and train under someone with experience and learn as much as you can. The below photo represents how many people get licensed every day. Look for the people wearing a hat. Those represent how many make it.

big-crowd-people-colorful-massive-sit-event-125917558.jpg

Back