Burns & Wilcox in AZ

sam816

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Here is what I have been told:

1. requires a $50k annual premium commitment, if not met, they will suspend you after first year
2. once suspended, they will no longer pay renewal commission

Can anyone confirm the above? are they really really good? what is it that they can do but the other GAs who don't have this kind of commitment requirement can not?

TIA

Can anyone confirm the above?

I'm sure somebody at Burns & Wilcox can address that question. Call them.

are they really really good?

They always have been. Read this analysis from 1997:

10 LARGEST U.S.-BASED INSURANCE WHOLESALERS: BURNS & WILCOX LTD. | Business Insurance

I imagine that they are still one of the top wholesale brokers in the country. It's no surprise that they are looking for a large premium commitment. They have traditionally had a piece of many of Arizona's largest and most complicated businesses, generating millions in annual premiums.

what is it that they can do but the other GAs who don't have this kind of commitment requirement can not?

Markets for hard to place insureds. Clout to get them written when nobody else wants them.

1. requires a $50k annual premium commitment, if not met, they will suspend you after first year

Can anyone confirm the above? are they really really good? what is it that they can do but the other GAs who don't have this kind of commitment requirement can not?

TIA

What did you do? Do Tell.

TIA

There are cases where a certain MGA has access to a special program that no other MGA can access, or that only a few others can access. Amwins had (and perhaps still does) access to an awesome livery program, and one of their offices has access to a specialty equine program. There are also certain MGA that have certain specialties, for example Burns and Wilcox around here is the best mga for adult care and in home nursing that I know of, and Veracity is my goto for cosmetics risks.

Outside of that, I find most full size MGA's to be more or less the same, largely dependent on the skill, tenacity, follow up, communication, etc. of the specific broker or team I am working with.

I can tell you, it's often the same story with MGA's in my 11 or so years. In the beginning they promise you the moon and the stars, then after you start writing, 6, 12, or 18 months later you may likely be struggling to get returned phone calls and emails.

I can't speak to Burns and Wilcox Az specifically, but hopefully this information is helpful general info and context.

Good luck.

Back