can anybody in the canadian market chime in for a newbie

saldesdude

Can anybody in the canadian market preferably quebec but will take anything chime in for a newbie. Im moving into commercial P-C from over a decade in real estate. I wanted to know the truth about what the market is like, how hard it is to get started when you have a good network of business owners and good people skills, what should i expect in my first year when it comes to cold calling, will i be able to get a good starting salary from a brokerage with my sales experience or an existing portfolio, and anything else you can add.
Thanks!

I also hear a lot how its a hard market, real estate is a hard market at 7% sells are hard, I figure everybody needs insurance so it cant be as hard to find new clients as it is in my current real estate market.

commercial P-C

how hard it is to get started when you have a good network of business owners and good people skills,

Harder than you think. The people skills will help, but real estate agents tend to have air of superiority regarding insurance. The agents I have seen transition from real estate to commercial P&C were in for a rude awakening, but some succeeded. Although, they didn't start in possibly the hardest insurance market in history.

what should i expect in my first year when it comes to cold calling, will i be able to get a good starting salary from a brokerage with my sales experience or an existing portfolio, and anything else you can add.

Very dependent on who you work for. Do you already have a company in mind?

I also hear a lot how its a hard market, real estate is a hard market at 7% sells are hard, I figure everybody needs insurance so it cant be as hard to find new clients as it is in my current real estate market.

Everyone needs a house too, what's your point? As a newby, you might spend all day fighting to write a $500 CGL policy because you were finally able to get in front of a customer. That policy might net you $30. How much does a house net you?

All things to think about: no sales job is easy; if they were, everyone would do them and be successful, then there would be no agents making 6 or 7 figures.

People buying or selling seek you out to assist in the transition. Although people need insurance of one kind or another they believe they are smart enough to navigate the process on their own and don't need an agent, hence the online ability to bind their own policy

Back