Buying a Book of Business

Unless you know the industry, you would be wasting your time and money.

The group business is quite fickle. Small group clients come and go at the drop of a hat unless you are better than most agents. Larger groups are quite political and can last for years and then suddenly go poof.

If I were buying today, my best offer would be 1.5 gross annual revenues. I would want to know what lines of coverage were offered and a big factor in my decision would be how much I could enhance revenues by adding ancillary lines.

ABC has a good point about potential changes with Obamacare. Personally, I don't think it is that much of a threat but you never know. This is not the time to plunk down money for something that could be moot in a few years.

Even without govt intrusion, the overall economy isn't going to start turning around for 2 more years assuming no other cataclysmic changes. In the interim, more layoffs and more failing businesses. There will also be reductions in benefits.

Good chance even 1.5 is rich.

If my magic 8 ball was working, I could refine a number that would apply to me, but I have worked that market in the past and know exactly what it takes to succeed. No way I would venture in that direction as a rookie. A rookie will get eaten alive.

Hello,

Can somebody help me? In answering me with these questions.

How does one value the price of a book of business he/she is selling? From my understanding it is established from the total number of clients, the total assets in the book or the total incomes the book of business brings in? How does the seller establish the asking price?

Before purchasing a book of business how does a buyer verify/check the book in regards to what kind of clients it carries. Meaning clients that are currently active or prospects or garbage? How do you check how true the information the seller is providing when selling a book of business?

When purchasing a book of business how does one find out witch clients have a depreciating investment vehicle? Specifically how do you find out which clients are loosing money on the bonds and which clients are unsatisfied?

When purchasing a book of business how does one find out when the clients bond investment term is coming up?

In regards to a private life insurance product. Example: If a man was to purchase a private life insurance product for him self and his wife and the agent that sold it to him gets paid that same minute he sold them insurance product. What happens if the man looses the job in 12 months and he is not capable of paying for his life insurance any longer. What happens with the agents income since the agent gets a yearly life income?

When buying/transferring or selling a book of business are there any tax issues or anything tax related that one should be aware of before the purchase? If yes then what should one expect?

Where can i find books of business for sale?

I wait for your reply.

Thank You
Denys Tereshchenko

There are many insurance consultants that help agencies buy and sell
that are aware of agencies that are looking to sell. If you have
contacts in the insurance industry like marketing reps or underwriters,
many times they are aware of agency owners that may be interested in
selling (or like anything else search around google for even more information).

Back