Buying Leads Vs Buying Lists

GrumpysGirl

FL
Hello Everyone. I'm new to the game of selling insurance. I was a captive agent but recently transitioned to independent. I made the move after finding this forum, then reading everything i could find on whatever issue I was facing at the time. I like the senior market and have done okay.

What is the difference between buying leads vs buying lists? Can you suggest one or two reputable companies for each so that I can dig deeper?

Thanks in advance

Buying lists is just data. If you like cold calling, don't mind spending your day on the phone, love significant rejection and really understand your target market --- lists are a great way to go. Lists are a volume play.

Buying leads is a nice fun mix of high-intent, aged, and mid-intent. Your close rate should be significantly higher, but your cost will be significantly more.

Buying lists will probably be cheaper, but it really depends on what you're willing to spend your day doing.

Hello Everyone. I'm new to the game of selling insurance. I was a captive agent but recently transitioned to independent. I made the move after finding this forum, then reading everything i could find on whatever issue I was facing at the time. I like the senior market and have done okay.

What is the difference between buying leads vs buying lists? Can you suggest one or two reputable companies for each so that I can dig deeper?

Thanks in advance

Buying a list is buying a list of names that you can target for the Senior Market. You can put whatever filters you want, such as age and income. Lists are WAY cheaper than buying leads. https://www.listshack.com/ You can telemarket, cold door knock, or do your own mailings with a list.

Leads are people who have supposedly expressed some type of interest in the market you're targeting. Many of the Avatar and TM leads I've seen aren't much better than a name off a list Leads are much mire expensive than a list, but more efficient(most of the time, especially DM).

In my experience, lists are a lot cheaper. I recently purchased 540 leads from a lead vendor for $1k for individual health insurance. It was basically on a bidding system. They were mostly shared leads but they were cheap, around $1 each with a few "exclusive" and some shared just a few times (3-5 times so I was told), and those were more expensive. Long story short, I sold 5 out of those 540 leads.

Hopefully I will get a few more sales out of them in the coming weeks since I emailed them and left a voicemail. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Buying leads is tough because most folks are going to buy shared leads which means even if you get them from a good vendor (which is a big if), then they are getting worked really hard by a lot of aggressive agents.

I'm super biased towards lists, but they are a lot of work. The nice thing about it is when you do generate a lead off of them it's much less likely to be as fiercely competed over and they're super inexpensive so you can just beat the phone to death.

In my experience, lists are a lot cheaper. I recently purchased 540 leads from a lead vendor for $1k for individual health insurance. It was basically on a bidding system. They were mostly shared leads but they were cheap, around $1 each with a few "exclusive" and some shared just a few times (3-5 times so I was told), and those were more expensive. Long story short, I sold 5 out of those 540 leads.

Hopefully I will get a few more sales out of them in the coming weeks since I emailed them and left a voicemail. Time will tell.

What type of Ins ?

Sounds like you gave them a once over, I would guess working them to death will get you more them 10 minimum at less then $2 a lead should be good ROI

However this is time consuming but then again thats what very cheap leads are, a trade off of time for ROI

Buying a list is going to force you to spend more time trying to get in front of less people. Buy leads you will spend less time getting in front of more people.

ROI on list can be higher than buying leads, however, TOTAL profit could be less.

For new agents, cold calling is a good, cheap, part time solution, but I dont think its a feasible business model, unless you hire your own telemarketer. Most people get burnt out cold calling folks.

So......

I guess this is where I come in.

I am pretty new and just hired a telemarketer and a 3 line dialer (for the reasons mentioned above - I would rather be selling than calling) I am right at the lead list part to down load and start having my telemarketer make calls.

My question is: Is there really a difference between lead list companies?

Other than getting DNC scrubbed lists for residential calls (or not) is one list compnany better than another?

Note: I am focused on life products and retirement planning. I am trying both the small business market and residential market until I see a need to focus more on one over the other (if ever)

Ready to pull the trigger on a list company right now (SalesDataLists) with unlimited downloads for a monthly $. unless someone convinces me there are better list companies out there for my area(s) of focus.

This forum has been good for me so far. Some one know a better list company? and why is it better?

Or am I on the right track.

Last edited:
So......

I am pretty new and just hired a telemarketer and a 3 line dialer (for the reasons mentioned above - I would rather be selling than calling) I am right at the lead list part to down load and start having my telemarketer make calls.

Other than getting DNC scrubbed lists for residential calls (or not) is one list compnany better than another?

Note: I am focused on life products and retirement planning. I am trying both the small business market and residential market until I see a need to focus more on one over the other (if ever)

Ready to pull the trigger on a list company right now (SalesDataLists) with unlimited downloads for a monthly $. unless someone convinces me there are better list companies out there for my area(s) of focus.

This forum has been good for me so far. Some one know a better list company? and why is it better?

Hi TomZack,

The differences can be small when looking at one list company compared to another. I actually put together a list of the top 10 data list providers for insurance agents:

So......

Save yourself the headache and DO NOT go with salesdatalist. I just paid for the special through Chris westfall's site and he recommended to go with salesdatapro but I didn't listen and went cheaper with the salesdatalist. Big mistake, tons on and tons of wrong #'s. Wasting too much of my TM's time that Im paying her for.

Now I had to cancel the list part from salesdatalist and purchase the sales data pro. I'll let you know the results if you'd like

Back