Buying Life Insurance Online-Laws by State

rajqpatel

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to understand the different laws by state of selling,buying and quoting term/whole life online. I know if you look at MetLife for either term/whole online you cannot buy a policy online in the State of NY.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated,
Raj

I can share with you that in Florida you cannot buy or sell a life insurance policy online like the many car insurance policies advertised today. The reason why is because you have to go through a licensed agent(not a customer service rep or a website). Other states should have similar laws. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I can share with you that in Florida you cannot buy or sell a life insurance policy online like the many car insurance policies advertised today. The reason why is because you have to go through a licensed agent(not a customer service rep or a website). Other states should have similar laws. I hope this helps.

Really I property and casualty license is required for the sale of car insurance as well. Do you post inaccurate information often?

The reason for the edit says it all. This information is inaccurate. You don't think a licensed agent handles the transaction for the insurance company? They can be a company employee and still a licensed agent.

The reason for the edit says it all. This information is inaccurate. You don't think a licensed agent handles the transaction for the insurance company? They can be a company employee and still a licensed agent.

I don't think a P&C agent handles the transactions of P&C agency. I know they do. Can a person purchase a policy through a 440 customer service rep without ever speaking to an agent. Happens all the time. Can I got to website and purchase a bound policy online with out speaking to an agent. Happens all the time. The same cannot be done with life insurance. At least in Florida an Agent can't have a CSR quote, explain, and process a life application(there is no such designation). Good job taking what I said out of context.

I don't think a P&C agent handles the transactions of P&C agency. I know they do. Can a person purchase a policy through a 440 customer service rep without ever speaking to an agent. Happens all the time. Can I got to website and purchase a bound policy online with out speaking to an agent. Happens all the time. The same cannot be done with life insurance. At least in Florida an Agent can't have a CSR quote, explain, and process a life application(there is no such designation). Good job taking what I said out of context.

Yes you can go to a website today and buy a policy without "speaking" to an agent.

Really? So when I go to a company like Progressive and quote and bind a policy online how exactly is the "agent" involved. I am not saying they are not needed to handle the transactions of the company. I am saying they do not have to be directly involved in the sale(they can simply supervise the rep while he/she does all the work). Try that in life insurance. I am new to the forum. Not to insurance.

I'll make it simple, the rep is a licensed agent.

Also, if you do it completely online, they'll just have a licensed agent sign off on it. You never spoke with a soul.

Back