Ca Requirements Question

NotEnough

Super Genius
Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing well. I recently went independent and would like to start marketing in the area. I do not have a DBA yet and am wondering if I could just market as my name + insurance at the end? Or use my name and put independent agent at the bottom?

I haven't decided on a DBA yet. Tried looking on the CA DOI website but can't find the answer to my question. Is it legally compliant if I just put my name, the insurance lines I offer, my office address, and my CA DOI license number?

I haven't decided on a DBA yet. Tried looking on the CA DOI website but can't find the answer to my question. Is it legally compliant if I just put my name, the insurance lines I offer, my office address, and my CA DOI license number?

Yes, you can do that. Just make sure it's your first and last name. Last name only requires approval and DBA filing.

For example: I am DHK (first and last name) Insurance and Financial Solutions. It's my first and last name, insurance (that's a requirement), and either agency/services/solutions, etc. Make sure you are not promoting yourself as a "company", because you are not an actual insurer, but an agent/agency representing insurers.

Business Entity Application Procedures - Name Approval Criteria

Required Definitive Words

Unacceptable Words/Phrases

Improper Use of Words/Phrases

Btw, I just saw this:

Exception to Name Approval

(A) An exception to this rule may be made on a case by case basis where the applicant or licensee holds a certificate as a broker/dealer under California Corporations Code Section 25210 and/or where the applicant holds a certificate as an investment adviser under the provisions of California Corporations Code Section 25230 and the applicant has submitted evidence satisfactory to the Commissioner that in excess of 80 percent of the applicant's net income from the said business entity for which name approval is being sought is derived from sources of business other than insurance. The foregoing exception is not available to an agent of a broker-dealer, as the word "agent" is defined in California Corporations Code Section 25003.

Back