California Fleet Auto

File a claim. Get a rental car. Once the liability determination is done, you will get reimbursed for the rental car (assuming other driver is at fault and covered).

Or....

File a claim with your insurance carrier, if you have rental car coverage, they will cover the rental car for you from day 1, get the repairs going for your car, and when its all done, they will send the bill to the other insurance company. You will pay your deductible, but will get it refunded once (if?)they collect from the other party.

Dan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ooops, just realized that 'California Fleet Auto' isn't a company, its an accord form. Accord 52 CA to be exact.

It is used when the car has fleet insurance.

You need to call the company that the person works for who owns the car to file the claim.

Unlike a Personal Auto ID card, commercial policies actually say 'California Fleet Auto Insurance Identification Card' on the top, and then list the insurance company separately (along with the policy number).

The police officer will have properly recorded the information. Go to the police station and get a copy of the report. You can usually pick up a copy within 2 or 3 days if you do it in person.

Dan

Last edited:
Ok, so here's whats unfolding thus far... It turns out that California Fleet Auto is for people who are self insured or in many cases a dealer or a company's "fleet"; hence the name. So far, though, I've already gotten a claim # going and it looks like everything is on track... emphasis on "so far" because with these things you never know. What I did, was called the lady that hit us and just told her that I couldn't find her insurance and she unhesitantly gave me their #. I didn't have to call them, though, because they've contacted me already.

Last edited:
No I'm not kidding. The guy tried to deny hitting me, a huge argument ensued. I got his drivers' license #, his insurance company, policy number, his plate#, I took pictures of the damage, but in the heat of the conversation I did not however get his phone number. The cops came, he finally admitted fault and a report was filed but it's going to take 10 to12 business days for me to get a copy of it, meanwhile my car isn't drivable so I need a rental and can't get one. Any thoughts?

Yes call ur insurance company and file the claim. Ur company will fix ur car and they will go after him and subrigate the claim. No worries have ur company do the work for u. :idea:

So I got to the bottom of this mystery. If you have any kind of fleet auto insurance in the state of California, it always says "California fleet auto insurance" at the top of the paper. This is the type of insurance not the title of the the insurance company. Give the info you have to your insurance company and they can do a search through the DMV. I had to talk to a supervisor to accomplish this. Good luck!

Same thing has just happened to my mother. She's 86. Sideswiped by a food truck out of Sacramento. Police report listed truck drivers insurance as California Fleet Auto. The phone # written down is to a fax machine not a working phone telephone line. I cannot reach them.
As mentioned above I'll call the truck company next. This is rediculous.
Wish me luck.

Through further research I was able to find out through the company that the truck driver was driving for that their insurance is "Carolina Casualty" and the man in charge of knowing this information even provided me with their insurance claim # for me to use when I call their insurance company to file the claim. I did so and the claims rep assisted me with getting the claim filed and ordering an adjuster to come and review my mothers 2013 Kia Sportage within the next few days.
He asked me for the drivers name and I gave it. He knew the driver so I know it was the right business. He said the police got the information wrong because it says California Fleet Ins on the top of card but that this is an "umbrella" term (title) and if he would have read the card further he would have seen the actual name of their auto insurer as "Carolina Casualty" based out of Jacksonville Florida. ~Take note~
Will keep this post updated as this unfolds.

Back