California - Name That Exchange

Dave020

Super Moderator
California
I'll take Avocado for $100, Alex :biggrin:

"When you're looking at branding the exchange, it's not just the name itself," said Chris Kelly, senior advisor for marketing and outreach at the exchange. "There also will be a tagline and a logo that goes with it, whenever you see it. So you have to look at it as part of a big system. When the name sits alone, it can sound funny."

With that caveat, Kelly unveiled a short list of name finalists, in two categories:

• Traditional names -- CaliHealth, CalAccess, Wellquest, Covered California and PACcess.

• Interesting names -- Ursa, Healthifornia (A Better State of Healthcare), Eureka (Discover affordable healthcare), Avocado (A uniquely California approach to affordable healthcare), Beneficia, Cal-Vida and Condor.

"We had a long naming process," Kelly said, that included ideas from stakeholders, marketing agencies and many others. "And a lot of them, actually, were very similar."

The list will be winnowed down to three or four names this week, Kelly said. That list will be submitted to the board for a vote at the next meeting, on Sept. 18.

"Well, Condor did not make the final cut, frankly," Kelly said. "I mean, it is a vulture."

Board member Robert Ross piped up: "And in danger of extinction," he said.
"As is the name," Kelly said.

Board chair Diana Dooley, who was elected to a second annual term at yesterday's meeting, wondered about one name that wasn't on the list.

"I would ask you to put Health Hub back on the list," Dooley said. "I kind of liked that one."

"I am sort of partial to Avocado," board member Kim Belshé said.
Dooley had one last comment about one of the choices: "CaliHealth?" she said with a raised eyebrow. "CaliHealth, that sounds really young. … All the kids on the East Coast know us as Cali, so yes, I don't know about CaliHealth."

No matter the name they choose, it will take decades to brand, and "California Health Exchange" will still be the terms most searched on. Lots of people still search for Massachusetts health exchange, even though the "connector" has been around for a while.

They should stick with "health exchange", it's already branded by the politicians.

But, I really like this one (I'd probably add a few choice words like ______ and ________):

He says one person even suggested "www.icantbelieveitsthiseasytobuyhealthinsurance.com."

Branding Health Insurance Exchanges To Make The Sale - Kaiser Health News

California is expected to release its new name and logo in November. The frontrunners? Eureka, a reference to the gold rush (and the state’s motto), and Ursa, which is Latin for bear and a symbol on California's state flag. Condor is off the table. While uniquely Californian, it is a vulture that almost went extinct.

They want something with a tag line. Here you go.

"CalCrap" "We know health carriers suck, we just suck a little less!"

LOL! It took them 3 months and (how much $$$?) to come up with a name. Now comes the hard part of actually getting the exchange built and ready for launch.

I was thinking the same thing. I would have done it for $5 on Fiver. Just had to look at Cover Florida name.

Plus, the article states that "Covered California" represents an action verb. To me, isn't that past tense?? Should have left off the "ed" and left it as "Cover", an action verb representing a future action. Morons in CA I'll tell yah.

Back