Can a new insurance company tell if you have been in an accident?

Gruwg

Let’s say that the accident in question is a very minor fender bender that did not involve a police report and was handled only through the current insurance company, causing rates to shoot up significantly.

Now let’s say I wanted to switch insurance companies for whatever reason. Will they have knowledge of this minor infractions, even though it’s not on my driving record as a ticketed offense?

If there was a claim filed with your insurance carrier it is included in your CLUE report and any other insurance carrier will see it as a claim. Some will show even if filed with just the other carrier if they assign some degree of fault

Furthermore, if they find the accident within the first 6 months of the new policy you could be non-renewed or have a huge raise in premium for your coverage

Probably, but it shouldn't matter. If you are asked about prior accidents and you lie, you have quite likely committed insurance fraud, a felony. That would likely result in a claim denial if they are aware of it, or worse. As Mark Twain (I believe) once said, "If you always tell the truth, you'll never have to remember anything."

Back