Can "Appointment Setters" Get Paid Commission?

Plus training that person what word usage to never use.

Ok, so to get to specifics, what exactly can't they say? You say "what word usage never to use"...that sounds pretty specific. I understand they are not to discuss particulars on the policies we would sell them, but what exactly are you referring to?

Also, I have come to the conclusion that I'll pay them per lead. I'd like to give them a set bonus if I exceed sales off of their leads though. I think that sounds reasonable, as it will never be a set percentage of sales. Is this advisable? Something to the effect of - "If I do over $5000 business from your leads, I'll give you a $500 bonus." Legal?

So:
1 - What specifics should she not say?
2 - Bonus for sales - NOT based on percentage - Legal?
3 - What is a reasonable price per lead from her?

Thanks!

Ok, so to get to specifics, what exactly can't they say? You say "what word usage never to use"...that sounds pretty specific. I understand they are not to discuss particulars on the policies we would sell them, but what exactly are you referring to?

Also, I have come to the conclusion that I'll pay them per lead. I'd like to give them a set bonus if I exceed sales off of their leads though. I think that sounds reasonable, as it will never be a set percentage of sales. Is this advisable? Something to the effect of - "If I do over $5000 business from your leads, I'll give you a $500 bonus." Legal?

So:
1 - What specifics should she not say?
2 - Bonus for sales - NOT based on percentage - Legal?
3 - What is a reasonable price per lead from her?

Thanks!

Try: "If I fail to achieve the rate of return I want from your leads, you're fired. If you exceed the rate of return, I will increase what I pay per lead." It is rather clear and should motivate the kind of person you'd want telemarketing for you. You could re-evaluate the price per lead every month. It should keep you in the clear too, as the number of leads generated this month have no relationship to commission from last month. But the person does benefit from generating quality, saleable leads for you.

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER, quit confusing yourself, you have been given the answers.

One addition: Consider return of investment for lead payment. You only want quality leads so consider ROI. Return on investment is considered good at 5 to 1. That means for every dollar you spend (including added expenses) you want to get five dollars back. Spending $200 on leads would have to mean $1,200 commissions. 1200 - 200 = 1000, 1000 divided by 5 = $200 for leads.

This is why this needs review. Can for every $200 paid out, guarantee yourself $1,200 in commission. If you require 8 leads to do this, she is worth $25 a lead.

If you start with a ROI of 3, you would be much safer. QUALITY cannot be stressed enough.

Last edited:
Try: "If I fail to achieve the rate of return I want from your leads, you're fired. If you exceed the rate of return, I will increase what I pay per lead."

Exceptionally perfect. Thank you. Thank you both (Volagent and Dyadvisor) for your specific advice. I will deffinitely use this.

Have a great day guys...

Exceptionally perfect. Thank you. Thank you both (Volagent and Dyadvisor) for your specific advice. I will deffinitely use this.

Have a great day guys...

You're welcome. Now, do give the person some time to achieve it. Depending on how many leads the person is generating, probably a month. If the person is new to it, or you are new to working telemarketed leads, there will be some growing pains. However, if they are absolute garbage out of the chute, then ditch the person. What I mean is, people that are completely uninsurable that you were told are healthy, have no clue who you are and swear they never talked to anyone, that kind of stuff. Once in a blue moon, the lead is lying, any regularity and its the telemarketer.

Back