Can we agree that for the most part, Medsupp commissions are usually higher than MAPD?

My up line told me that call centers only pay first year commissions—-no renewals. I was not aware of that. Has anyone else heard this?
90 % of my book are fairly loyal to me and would know to contact me if they were considering a change. So I will be sending out a letter to that other 10% of my book that don’t think to call me, imploring them to resist talking with telemarketers and to contact me instead.
The best advice I can give is to make it very easy for them to know how to contact you. You want them to remember you exist and know exactly how to find you. Wonderful retention and referrals will follow.

Walter

It 100% depends on state and persistency of the book.

In Texas, if you have 100 people stay on the book 10 years, Med Supp pays less. By a lot.

Year 1
MAPD-$600
Med Supp-$350

Years 2-7
MAPD-$300
Med Supp-$300

Years 7-10
MAPD-$300
Med Supp-$50

It’s also based on how agents are paid. Starving agents need the $600 upfront vs $25/month.

No idea on the 3 year thing. Huh?
I’m at 99% persistency (excluding death) way past the 10 year mark. If I’d put all these clients on MAPD, I would be making a lot more money.

So yeah, MAPD does make more money, assuming you keep your book.

I have both but it’s 98/2 Med Supp, excluding my U65 Medicare

In Texas, if you have 100 people stay on the book 10 years, Med Supp pays less. By a lot.

Year 1
MAPD-$600
Med Supp-$350

Years 2-7
MAPD-$300
Med Supp-$300

Years 7-10
MAPD-$300
Med Supp-$50

It’s also based on how agents are paid. Starving agents need the $600 upfront vs $25/month.

I’m at 99% persistency (excluding death) way past the 10 year mark. If I’d put all these clients on MAPD, I would be making a lot more money.

You don’t write drug plans?

Year 1
MAPD-$600
Med Supp-$350

Years 2-7
MAPD-$300
Med Supp-$300

Years 7-10
MAPD-$300
Med Supp-$50

And in your future value estimates, you haven’t even factored in the normal MA commission increases. MSUP rates are obviously fixed against initial premium, which means those sales effectively lose value each year while MA increases to at least offset a portion of inflation.

@Chazm asked about PDP. In your calculation, the revenue is not material.

And in your future value estimates, you haven’t even factored in the normal MA commission increases. MSUP rates are obviously fixed against initial premium, which means those sales effectively lose value each year while MA increases to at least offset a portion of inflation.

@Chazm asked about PDP. In your calculation, the revenue is not material.

I did add PDP.

Welcome to Texas. I’m making (average) $22 PMPM on Med Supp. (That was 2023 but it’s not going up that much!). Plus the $100 on PDP in year 1.

Texas rates are lower than most states on Med Supp, so the percentage is irrelevant.

I write a ton of Blue. Especially if they are going in without the ability to get through UW. Less UHC/AARP because of the pushback on AARP.

And if they are current ACA on Blue, there’s a discount. Then a HH discount. “Do you want Humana at $100 or Blue at $105?” That’s a no brainer.

Over 10 years, it is 3x the commish. Plus, 80% of my clients either pay or appeal IRMAA. It’s a little different

I did add PDP.

Welcome to Texas. I’m making (average) $22 PMPM on Med Supp. (That was 2023 but it’s not going up that much!). Plus the $100 on PDP in year 1.

Texas rates are lower than most states on Med Supp, so the percentage is irrelevant.

I write a ton of Blue. Especially if they are going in without the ability to get through UW. Less UHC/AARP because of the pushback on AARP.

And if they are current ACA on Blue, there’s a discount. Then a HH discount. “Do you want Humana at $100 or Blue at $105?” That’s a no brainer.

Over 10 years, it is 3x the commish. Plus, 80% of my clients either pay or appeal IRMAA. It’s a little different
I disagree with one very important thing in your whole argument . With mapd overall your dealing with much lower income overall . You yourself said a great % of your sup clients are irmaa . Upper income clients have much much greater persistency . Also overall when you write that supp that same sup stays on the books 3-6 yrs . You have to do very little to maintain the supplement side . With mapd there’s 10’s of moving parts . This yr its going to be tough .In many area’s non renewing plans will mean you have to move many people . And yes in years past there weren’t many significant changes in mapd so you could keep them in the same plan yearly . Formulary changes have no detriment on your supp business but they could have great changes on mapd plans. So overall the lower persistency on mapd has to be taken into account for your overall longer term comp.

Last edited:
With mapd overall your dealing with much lower income overall
Not necessarily. More than 50% of people with Medicare have an advantage plan now, and the rate is higher among those new to Medicare. MA has become a product for all sorts of people … although MSUP is never for the very low income, obviously.

Not necessarily. More than 50% of people with Medicare have an advantage plan now, and the rate is higher among those new to Medicare. MA has become a product for all sorts of people … although MSUP is never for the very low income, obviously.
Actually the true #’s are 32 million with mapd and 14 million with sups. The rest have only original medicare , Part A or B only and tricare and Champus . No doubt more t65’s are now getting mapd . But overall out of the 32 million mapds the avg income is far less than the avg of the 14 million medsups .

Back