Can We Tolerate Millions of Elderly People Living in Cars?

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
Can We Tolerate Millions of Elderly People Living in Cars? | ThinkAdvisor

Dr. Joanne Lynn last week warned members of Congress that enormous misery is coming, in about 10 years, if the country fails to improve support programs for the elderly.

Lynn, a geriatrician, is the head of the long-term services and supports (LTSS) team at Altarum, an Ann Arbor, Michigan-based health policy research center. She’s the equivalent of a retirement income and long-term care insurance product (LTC) designer for the nonprofit sector.

“Will we really tolerate millions of elderly people on the streets, and living in cars and tents?” Lynn asked. “Will we still pay for expensive hospitalizations and drugs for people who cannot get lunch? Will it be okay for me to write a prescription for a thousand dollar drug for an elderly person living in a car without food?”

Dr. Joanne Lynn last week warned members of Congress that enormous misery is coming, in about 10 years, if the country fails to improve support programs for the elderly.

Lynn, a geriatrician, is the head of the long-term services and supports (LTSS) team at Altarum, an Ann Arbor, Michigan-based health policy research center. She’s the equivalent of a retirement income and long-term care insurance product (LTC) designer for the nonprofit sector.

“Will we really tolerate millions of elderly people on the streets, and living in cars and tents?” Lynn asked. “Will we still pay for expensive hospitalizations and drugs for people who cannot get lunch? Will it be okay for me to write a prescription for a thousand dollar drug for an elderly person living in a car without food?”

It depends on the state.

In California it is SOP. Except they can not afford the auto registration fee or gas (down to almost $3.65G in L.A.).

Our son lives in San Jose. Quite a few folks live in their cars in his neighborhood. At least one converted school bus (resembles Partridge Family bus but not as ornate) moves to a new parking spot every few days to avoid being ticketed and towed.

Decent area with $1 million homes.

He can't afford to buy so he rents a house there for an ungodly amount of money.

I took investment classes, and saved my money. Instead of going on fancy vacations or fancy cars I made sacrifices and more investments, and was fortunate enough to retire at a young age. I'm not too excited about having more money taken from my taxes to support people who chose not to do that. My hope is that the elderly that do end up living in cars and in tents will serve as an example to people to do the same thing and not rely on the government to take care of them - which is a foolish idea to start with.

I took investment classes, and saved my money. Instead of going on fancy vacations or fancy cars I made sacrifices and more investments, and was fortunate enough to retire at a young age. I'm not too excited about having more money taken from my taxes to support people who chose not to do that. My hope is that the elderly that do end up living in cars and in tents will serve as an example to people to do the same thing and not rely on the government to take care of them - which is a foolish idea to start with.
What you say is harsh but true.. Years ago, there was a very small homeless problem compared to today.. Part of the problem is what you say. Another part of it is we have managed to destroy the American family and sense of responsibility toward family members.. We have turned over to the government the things we used to do for ourselves. And, that includes the churches.. With the growth in government welfare programs, churches cut back on the help they provided. Many of those that eagerly draw the welfare benefits would not be so eager to have their friends and neighbors support them.

Back