Can We Tolerate Millions of Elderly People Living in Cars?

Jack:

Not everyone can afford a car as big as yours.:biggrin:

cadilac-stretch-interior.jpg

Pimpmobile

Parked in Jack's garage. The one in the back belongs to his wife

hummer-h2-super-stretch-xl1.png

Haven’t posted in a while so feel free to shoot me down...

Senior living in poverty was real 80 years ago. Of all age demographics they had the highest percentage of those living in poverty, which was a minority even then. But since it’s 2019, why do we still reference trends from Prohibition and the roaring twenties? We have completely flipped this situation with all these pushes to alleviate senior poverty and now those age 65 and older have the lowest percentage of all age demographics living below the poverty line. Why does everyone continue to talk about senior poverty (9%) while no one talks about children living in poverty (18%)?

Over the last 40 years, wages exploded while taxes went down, leaving more disposable income than ever before to invest money in the greatest financial markets ever. There’s not much excuse for millions of people who misbehaved with their money.

Living in her car, she was afraid and harassed. Then she found an unexpected refuge - CNN

California's rising homelessness problem has led to an overall increase of 2.7% nationwide this year, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) said in a press release Friday.

But while cars, trucks and RVs can be cost-effective alternatives in places with some of the nation's steepest rents, they lack bathrooms and showers -- key amenities for people with jobs but no home. Beyond that, sleeping in them on most city streets is illegal. And they often leave inhabitants vulnerable.

somarco said:

Besides one friendly run-in with security after getting home late from a movie one evening, his truck lifestyle hasn't been a problem. He was greeted by about 10 security personnel that night, but after showing them his corporate badge — and even offering to move the truck — they apologized for waking him and even said he had a "sweet setup." Google did not respond to requests for comment.

I wonder if he's allowed to park there? The story doesn't say. It seems odd if he could, without permission.

Markthebroker said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those people you read about 20 years from now that saved all his money, invested aggressively, and retires comfortably in his mid 40's.

Eating for free five days a week, three times daily saves a fortune alone!

somarco said:

I wonder if he's allowed to park there? The story doesn't say. It seems odd if he could, without permission.

I live in a condo complex, and there are certain rules the security teams knows I break. But, I'm otherwise cooperative with them, and I don't cause problems, so they actively ignore it as long as I work with them a bit.

I am guessing if this guy works hard, doesn't cause problems, and is cooperative and polite with security (which it sounds like) then Google will turn a blind eye.

Now, if next month Google ended up with 150 of those trucks in their parking lot? That might change.

Haven’t posted in a while so feel free to shoot me down...

Senior living in poverty was real 80 years ago. Of all age demographics they had the highest percentage of those living in poverty, which was a minority even then. But since it’s 2019, why do we still reference trends from Prohibition and the roaring twenties? We have completely flipped this situation with all these pushes to alleviate senior poverty and now those age 65 and older have the lowest percentage of all age demographics living below the poverty line. Why does everyone continue to talk about senior poverty (9%) while no one talks about children living in poverty (18%)?

Over the last 40 years, wages exploded while taxes went down, leaving more disposable income than ever before to invest money in the greatest financial markets ever. There’s not much excuse for millions of people who misbehaved with their money.
Of course I accept all senior discounts available to me, especially in restaurants but I have always wondered why we get them.... It is the young couple feeding three of four kids that need it.. :yes:

They don't care. They know (knew) about it at the time the story was written. Security patrols the lots on a regular basis. Long term parking is allowed with a corp parking sticker.

They LOVE employees who work long hours as long as they are productive. You can work on campus, telecommute and even work on the free shuttle.

On site free food but not 24 hours unless you want the self serve areas. Hot food served from something like 5 or 6AM until 8 or 9PM. Gyms, pools, showers, laundry, almost everything you need.

No idea if this guy still works there or not. Lot's of burn out there as well as other Silicon Valley places. Some folks rotate every few years between Google, Apple, FB, PayPal, etc.

They can come back, often at higher pay than when they left, as long as they left on good terms.

Interesting place to work. Most of the employees are under 30, male and Asian.

Back