Canadian Duals - Avoiding PDP LEP

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Working with a couple moving here from Canada. Dual citizenship, qualify for Medicare, covered under their Canadian provincial plan thru the end of February.

How do they prove the Canadian plan is creditable for Part D? Both age 69 and just now enrolled in Medicare.

Are you really asking how would they know if the Canadian coverage was creditable related to Part D? There's a difference between knowing it is and proving that it is. But really, here's how it will likely play out in the real world: They'll join a Part D plan, the plan will send them a letter saying "you had a gap in coverage from (start date) to (end date)." Really, their reason for not having Part D coverage is that they were outside the service area for any Part D plans since they were out of the country -- the foreign coverage becomes moot.

So both are new to Medicare?

Yup.

Living in Canada for years, moving to GA in a couple of weeks. Will lose the "free" health coverage, never any copay's.

Born in the USA, moved to Oy Canada several years ago. T65 while in Canada. Did not enroll in Medicare then.

Really, their reason for not having Part D coverage is that they were outside the service area for any Part D plans since they were out of the country -- the foreign coverage becomes moot.

Duh . . .

Thanks for clarifying.

And yes, my question was also dual.

Is it creditable? (which I could not find an answer), and How do you prove it?

I suppose they will have some sort of Canadian Health Care plan card as proof but who knows?

First time I have encountered this.

Duh . . .

Thanks for clarifying.

And yes, my question was also dual.

Is it creditable? (which I could not find an answer), and How do you prove it?

I suppose they will have some sort of Canadian Health Care plan card as proof but who knows?

First time I have encountered this.

Unless the card has stamped across it "Creditable compared to US Medicare" then I don't see how a health plan card is any kind of proof. They'll need to ask the plan to see if they've ever bothered to have their actuaries make that comparison.

Working with a couple moving here from Canada. Dual citizenship, qualify for Medicare, covered under their Canadian provincial plan thru the end of February.

How do they prove the Canadian plan is creditable for Part D? Both age 69 and just now enrolled in Medicare.

Are you really asking how would they know if the Canadian coverage was creditable related to Part D? There's a difference between knowing it is and proving that it is. But really, here's how it will likely play out in the real world: They'll join a Part D plan, the plan will send them a letter saying "you had a gap in coverage from (start date) to (end date)." Really, their reason for not having Part D coverage is that they were outside the service area for any Part D plans since they were out of the country -- the foreign coverage becomes moot.

With twocents' post as guide, this turns up:

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Appeal...ent-Penalty-Reconsideration-Request-Form-.pdf

(Page 2, first item.)

If they are first timers in Part A 3.1.21, no LEP

And another DUH (slapping my forehead again).

I am in the info gathering stage, working through their son initially, and I PRESUME since they were living outside the country when turning 65 they did not take A or B. Don't know that for sure.

I have a few foreign nationals and some duals, but this is the first time I recall running into this.

Got twisted around on the Part D because I zeroed in on the creditable coverage angle.

If they are first timers in Part A 3.1.21, no LEP

Wouldn't the Part D IEP have been when they turned 65, so their exemption from penalty again goes back to twocents' comment about them being out of any Part D service area, rather than hooking to a late Part A enrollment date?

Back