Captive Life Agent Ready for Freedom! I've Seen the Light

3boysinsurance

ohio
I want to thank you all for all of the information you provide in this forum. I have been reading for about 2 months, and i am convinced i need to go independent. After 6 months with a captive agency, my biggest problem is i don't feel like i'm doing the best service for my clients. I really want to offer more choices for my future clients.

I'm making decent money but i'm giving up almost 40% of the commissions to my managers and so forth. I would like to get additional information on GA's in Ohio. I currently only deal in Life, yet I would like to get involved in Med Sups and Health.

I have searched hundreds of threads, but need information that will help me in Ohio.

Thanks for you time.

Mike

Re: Captive Life Agent Ready for Freedom!! I've Seen the Light

I want to thank you all for all of the information you provide in this forum. I have been reading for about 2 months, and i am convinced i need to go independent. After 6 months with a captive agency, my biggest problem is i don't feel like i'm doing the best service for my clients. I really want to offer more choices for my future clients.

I'm making decent money but i'm giving up almost 40% of the commissions to my managers and so forth. I would like to get additional information on GA's in Ohio. I currently only deal in Life, yet I would like to get involved in Med Sups and Health. I have searched hundreds of threads, but need information that will help me in Ohio.

Thanks for you time.

Mike

Good luck! You will do just fine!

I'm making decent money but i'm giving up almost 40% of the commissions to my managers and so forth.

Mike, just don't forget that with freedom, comes...responsibility. Are you currently being provided leads and/or orphans to see?

Not saying you can't, or shouldn't, do it, but go slow - until you've got a foolproof plan for obtaining a continuous flow of new prospects!

Otherwise you'll be independent, but you'll also be dead meat.

Xrac and Moonlight,

Thank you for your responses. Moonlight I do plan on having multiple marketing plans in place before I take the plunge. I do really well getting referrals, so I figure worst case is I buy some leads. I have over 6 months living expenses set aside, plus a marketing budget of around $500 per month.

Thanks,

Mike

Ohio, really? Change your flag. Moonlight gave some great advice. It took me about 4 months of transition time from captive to indy... Don't let doubt and fears creep in. you can do it and you'll thank yourself later.

Make sure you have a nice big fat stack of chip$...

I think the best thing about being independent is that you will really own your book of business. You build up an asset, not just income.

Thanks for all your replies. I certainly am looking forward to owning my business and supplying my clients with the best products available. The company I work for has some decent products, but I know there are better products out there for my clients.

I've got 6 months living expenses in the bank and some money for marketing. If I make 35k first year I'll be ok. I'm willing to reinvest the difference back in the business for future income.

Thanks,

Mike

I was hoping to get some input on who to use for a GA in Ohio. I have everything nearly ready to go. I am going to start off with final expense and term, then head into Med Sups and health.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for all your replies. I certainly am looking forward to owning my business and supplying my clients with the best products available. The company I work for has some decent products, but I know there are better products out there for my clients.

I've got 6 months living expenses in the bank and some money for marketing. If I make 35k first year I'll be ok. I'm willing to reinvest the difference back in the business for future income.

Thanks,

Mike

I made the switch from captive to indy and it has been the best career move I've ever made. Its much more work (I was being supplied leads, now I have to actually work at it), but also much more rewarding. It is so much more satisfying to sit down with a senior and be able to offer them choices between 6 or 7 different companies, rather than just trying to sell then on 1 company, especially when you know that 1 company isn't the best out there.

If you're looking for someone to contract through then contact Frank on this board. I have some contracts through him and he's already given me some great advice.

Back