Captive or not?

Without experience and a book of business it is harder to get appointments as an independent. You could always work for another broker using a commission split agreement. If you do this make sure an agreement specifies when you can leave and take your book with you.

Out of those captive companies you listed, State Farm is the most appealing to me. They, and Farmers, have alot of the market in some areas and your biggest competitors may be agents within your own companies.

I know lots of agents are departing American Family to go independent, from what I understand in greater numbers than the other carriers mentioned.

Forgot to mention Allstate. I've always thought they were a pretty good company and would think that a decent choice too. Be ready to sell life insurance with Allstate and State Farm. Not too sure if Farmer's has a hard and fast rule about their agents selling life.

I've been hearing that Allstate is a challenge for a lot of agents right now... Many agencies are closing around the country. Ask around.

Without experience and a book of business it is harder to get appointments as an independent. You could always work for another broker using a commission split agreement. If you do this make sure an agreement specifies when you can leave and take your book with you. Out of those captive companies you listed, State Farm is the most appealing to me. They, and Farmers, have alot of the market in some areas and your biggest competitors may be agents within your own companies. I know lots of agents are departing American Family to go independent, from what I understand in greater numbers than the other carriers mentioned.

What is occuring with American Family that is causing agents to go independent?

Back