Captive vs non-captive

MJM1987

Expert
I have appointments with several companies over the years and subsequently receive renewals. I may signing with a captive company in the near future. If I sign a captive agreement, do forfeit old renewals and what happens to my book business technically?

Been licensed for 4 years, learned a lot, still have a lot to learn, that is why is love insurance.

Thanks in Advance

Renewals can actually be paid regardless of licensing. That's one reason why you can actually name a beneficiary for your renewal income.

So no, you don't have to forfeit renewals. However, you may have to cancel your selling contract for issuing any new business. It all depends on your contract/employment agreement.

As far as your clients and client service... just ask them. Depending on the nature of your "captivity" (ha!), you may be able to just service this business and classify it as an "outside business activity" - but be unable to sell them any more of the current company's products.

Here in California we are called producers.

As to why someone would leave indi and go captive? It's like eating Mcdonalds, or KFC, or any other kind of junk food. It seems like a good idea at the moment, and right when you start doing it, it might even feel like a good idea. But very rarely, is any one happy that they ate junk food. They can only learn from the experience, move forward, and hopefully never do it again.

Here in California we are called producers.

As to why someone would leave indi and go captive? It's like eating Mcdonalds, or KFC, or any other kind of junk food. It seems like a good idea at the moment, and right when you start doing it, it might even feel like a good idea. But very rarely, is any one happy that they ate junk food. They can only learn from the experience, move forward, and hopefully never do it again.
We're producers in Illinois too. Since every agent has a NPN(National Producer Number), I guess we're all producers whether we like it or not.

Damn, I liked being called an Agent. :yes:

Back