Car Accident by Excluded Driver Permit teenager

car_lover

My son, under 17 with a learners permit, had an accident while I was in passenger seat. Two other cars were involved and all 3 cars had minor damage. Turns out my Insurance company had excluded coverage for him a couple of years back. Assuming that the accident is his fault, who will pay for the damage of the 3 cars? We live in Los Angeles, CA.

We are very worried so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks InsCommentary. Here is the "exclusion policy". What is your advise?

APPLICABLE TO ALL COVERAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LIABILITY AND UNINSURED MOTORISTS, PROVIDED NOW OR LATER
It is agreed that the insurance afforded by this policy shall not apply nor accrue to the benefit of any insured or any third party claimant when any motor vehicle is being used or operated by a person listed below regardless of where the person resides or whether the person is licensed to drive.

That happened to me somewhat .My 17 yr old totaled my car and I thought my ex had him insured . She didn’t . He wasn’t an excluded driver . But after they paid for it they excluded him. Since your car is insured and the other drivers legally have to get their car fixed I believe they will pay . But I’d be shocked if they don’t demand payment from you for the total claim . If you don’t pay they’ll sue you . I’d also be shocked if they don’t drop your coverage .

Thanks InsCommentary. Here is the "exclusion policy". What is your advise?

APPLICABLE TO ALL COVERAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LIABILITY AND UNINSURED MOTORISTS, PROVIDED NOW OR LATER
It is agreed that the insurance afforded by this policy shall not apply nor accrue to the benefit of any insured or any third party claimant when any motor vehicle is being used or operated by a person listed below regardless of where the person resides or whether the person is licensed to drive.

It’s an absolute exclusion. No one otherwise an insured under the policy has coverage. Your only possible way out is statutory or case law that conflicts with the exclusion and might provide at least minimum state limits.

Here is the "exclusion policy"

Yes, that's a Named Driver Exclusion. A reduction of coverage has to be agreed to and signed for by the Named Insured (parent). Insurance companies generally don't ask for it, they just non-renew or charge a hefty premium to cover a teenage driver. A parent who is faced with spending thousands to cover a teenage driver can ask for it and will have to sign for it on a separate page that becomes part of the policy and every subsequent renewal.

Why did your carrier exclude your 17 year old "a few years back"?

Ditto.

And how did you not remember doing it?

2 possible solutions to your dilemma.
1) Request a copy of the signed exclusion document.
2) Have your son arrested for theft of the vehicle

2 possible solutions to your dilemma.
1)
2) Have your son arrested for theft of the vehicle

Caveat, not an agent.

Would the vehicle's owner (or co-owner) then also be arrested as an accessory to theft?

Back