Car Accident by Excluded Driver Permit teenager

I reached out to a few motor vehicle accident lawyers and they "do not do this kind of work". Not sure why is this? Is there another type of lawyer that can help, like "Insurance lawyers"?

they are looking for the cases with big paydays from the insurance carriers, not hourly bill rates for the person wanting counsel. Not saying it is right, but this is how it usually goes, the lawyers most well versed on auto insurance work full time either suing insurance companies for big bucks or defending insurance companies in lawsuits, not actually performing legal work for the average citizen like you & I

never heard of a resident relative (IE- insured by policy language) being excluded when they have never even obtained a Drivers license. Most named exclusions are requested by insured & allowed by carrier when the person already had a drivers license & has a bad record of driving. in some no-fault states, the exclusions dont hold up in court for mandatory coverages like medical, etc. They tend to hold up more in those no fault states for Comprehensive & collission damage to your own car

never heard of a resident relative (IE- insured by policy language) being excluded when they have never even obtained a Drivers license. Most named exclusions are requested by insured & allowed by carrier when the person already had a drivers license & has a bad record of driving. in some no-fault states, the exclusions dont hold up in court for mandatory coverages like medical, etc. They tend to hold up more in those no fault states for Comprehensive & collission damage to your own car

A parent considering the cost of insurance for two teenage males with no driving experience (the highest risk classification) could very well consider excluding them to save thousands.

My son was getting into a left turn lane while another car was passing really fast in that lane and it's passenger side doors scraped my driver side bumper. That driver is also a 17 year old kid. This accident probably would not have happened if either or both were more mature drivers. In my mind, the other driver was at fault as well but not sure how to access that.

You may be right about shared fault. That's going to be complicated. Can you post a Google maps aerial view and explain where each car was. Maybe print it out first and mark the spots, then scan and upload.

You said there were two other cars, not just one. What happened to the other one?

Were the police called?

Did your son get cited?

Have you contacted the other driver's insurance company to make a claim for your damage? You should probably do that.

Last edited:
A parent considering the cost of insurance for two teenage males with no driving experience (the highest risk classification) could very well consider excluding them to save thousands.

As minors, they will very likely always be protected under the policy as a resident relative. The minor can't sign a legally binding contract & the parent is signing a document to amend the standard contract naming those resident relatives as insured under the policy.

Any agents out there see this in specific states or carriers allowing this?

As minors, they will very likely always be protected under the policy as a resident relative. The minor can't sign a legally binding contract & the parent is signing a document to amend the standard contract naming those resident relatives as insured under the policy.

Any agents out there see this in specific states or carriers allowing this?
Maryland allows for the exclusion of a minor on parents policy since the cost to include is very high. In many cases it borders on fraud because the kid IS driving and Mom & Dad are aware. If the kid is involved in an accident or cited or the insurance company finds out about the lie, the insurer can ask for past due premiums if parents wish to stay insured. Otherwise they get non renewed or canceled

Back